7-segment countdown circuit

MimicDaemon

Joined Oct 11, 2015
I need to make a countdown circuit for my coursework. It must countdown (on a 7 segment display) from 9-0 when a switch is pressed. Is this possible when using a 4510 BCD up/down counter and a 4511 BCD to 7-segment decoder? If anyone has a circuit that does this could you please share it with me, i will be eternally grateful.

MimicDaemon

Joined Oct 11, 2015
modertor thats a fair point but its just one of three circuits i'm using and i've built the other two, this one i'm just finding very difficult. But I understand where your coming from and if someone was to share a already made one with me I would study it to see how it works rather than just using it and not knowing how it works. :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
modertor thats a fair point but its just one of three circuits i'm using and i've built the other two, this one i'm just finding very difficult. But I understand where your coming from and if someone was to share a already made one with me I would study it to see how it works rather than just using it and not knowing how it works. :)
So take your best shot at designing a circuit and present that. That will let us see what approach you are taking and how reasonable it is. It will also let us see where you are going right and where you seem to be going off the rails. That way we can give you targeted assistance for the specific difficulties that you are having.

MimicDaemon

Joined Oct 11, 2015
So take your best shot at designing a circuit and present that. That will let us see what approach you are taking and how reasonable it is. It will also let us see where you are going right and where you seem to be going off the rails. That way we can give you targeted assistance for the specific difficulties that you are having.
Ok that's changed my mindset and I now see that it is better for me as a learning process, thanks for your help

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello MimicDaemon

To answer your original question:
Yes indeed you can use the IC's that you mention (4510 & 4511).
But you will require more devices, for example:

The 7-segment display Common-Cathode.
Chip resistors with a suitable value to limit the current of each segment in the display.
The own button.
A circuit named De-Bounce to eliminate the button that produces rebounds.
How would you apply your counter pulses ??. . . With the 555 IC ??

You think: When you polarize the IC 4510 usually starts at 0 but, as I understand, you want to start in 9.
So you must design a circuit to start in 9.

You should also think about what will make the circuit when you press the start button and the timer reaches zero.
Stop?. continue counting downward 9 to 0?. Etc.
This feature of your counter have not mentioned.

By the way: you use a simulator for electronic circuits where you develop your project ??

MimicDaemon

Joined Oct 11, 2015
Hello MimicDaemon

To answer your original question:
Yes indeed you can use the IC's that you mention (4510 & 4511).
But you will require more devices, for example:

The 7-segment display Common-Cathode.
Chip resistors with a suitable value to limit the current of each segment in the display.
The own button.
A circuit named De-Bounce to eliminate the button that produces rebounds.
How would you apply your counter pulses ??. . . With the 555 IC ??

You think: When you polarize the IC 4510 usually starts at 0 but, as I understand, you want to start in 9.
So you must design a circuit to start in 9.

You should also think about what will make the circuit when you press the start button and the timer reaches zero.
Stop?. continue counting downward 9 to 0?. Etc.
This feature of your counter have not mentioned.

By the way: you use a simulator for electronic circuits where you develop your project ??
yes counter pulses with the 555 and i want the 7 seg to count

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello MimicDaemon

Yes, of course, the pulses will be generated with 555 to be counted.

But we could see some scheme that you have done for Your circuit ??

You have studied the data sheets of the IC's 4510, 4511 and 555 ??

These Data Sheets can download from this link:
http://www.alldatasheet.com/