60 Hz AC system, change in direction of current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
All I asked is why you think it is false and you have yet to answer that simple question. Why do you think it is a false statement? You have single evenhanded started two threads with each leading to little more than controversy. It is what it is.

Ron
You have read and are aware of my answer as to my agreement with TonyR1080. ( For reminder take a look at post #21). He has done a tremendous illustration better than I could have. I then went ahead and further reminded you that every time a light bulb blinked I counted that as a change in the direction of the current. The light will blink at all those intervals that Tony is pointing at.
Based on what I have just REPEATED again, it is false that the current changed direction 60 times a second. Simple direct repetitious answer.
I have read your reason behind your position as to why you think it is 60 times. I gathered that your answer fundamentally was based on because of the internet ( whoever they are) and your machine/oscilloscope etc.said so.
I get listless and restless unless something feels right in my gut, I will reject it even if it came from......... well let us see the Ultimate. I am not supposed to use religious ( I think) or
political terms here.

If you want to be amused or want to sigh with more elaborate answers using a different format, let me know.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I get listless and restless unless something feels right in my gut, I will reject it even if it came from......... well let us see the Ultimate. I am not supposed to use religious ( I think) or
political terms here.
So you mentioned you have been in the field for 30 years. I guess you have been restless a long time. Glad you liked Tony's answer. My reference in the other thread to the Internet was tongue in cheek which is how everyone else saw it and as I explained. Like others I am done here. May you find the answers you want to hear.

Ron

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
plot sin(t); differentiate sin(t); t=0 to 2*pi

Plot the sin(t) and the first derivative for 0 to 2*pi (one cycle)

When the first derivative = 0 is a point of inflection or a sign change.

Thus 2 sign changes per period.
And so I am left to do the math. And I am supposed to know the math. I still haven't figured out the instruction you gave me on the quote thing yet.... :)
So all I have now is to guess.
2 sign changes per period. 1 period =1/60 second =1hz
2X60= 120 times change in the direction of the current in one second.
Mr. Ron has been busting my chops, but not even close as some other fine individuals. I sure would like an observant sentient being to check out the dynamics of the back of forth up there. ( Some you probably can't see because they resorted to bizarre means to express themselves) I must say Ron kept his subtle form of disparaging remarks on the leash, just a couple of times it got away from him.
I think you might find it worthwhile to check post #21.
There is not a math approach there. it is visual.
The problem with math is that it does what we tell it to do, like a computer. If we feed it the wrong information, math can't tell, it just spits out what we feed it.

( My reasoning is based on the meaning of the terms based on language usage. and the second reason is the physics of Einstein. A change in direction is always relative to the previous direction/victor. Hince one can not count the origin and the endpoint. The endpoint can not be counted because it is not moving.
When current moves from the point of origin, it is direction can not be considered a change in direction. At 180 degrees it changes direction for the first time as it is in relation ( In this case opposite) to its previous direction. Then at 360 degrees, it reaches the point of origin. but now it is turning again, this turning is a change in direction ( by definition) because this time it is actually turning and it is in relation to its previous direction, unlike the first time.
The last point, the endpoint does not count given the one-second time frame aspect. It implies no further movement. Our little charge stops moving, the light is off.. Since we/I gave a limit to t=1s.

Thank you for not being part of .... I don't know what to call it. Haven't you noticed.... :)

Last edited:

Alchemy One

Joined Oct 5, 2019
So you mentioned you have been in the field for 30 years. I guess you have been restless a long time. Glad you liked Tony's answer. My reference in the other thread to the Internet was tongue in cheek which is how everyone else saw it and as I explained. Like others I am done here. May you find the answers you want to hear.

Ron
Okay, try it again. Where did I mention such a thing (30 years in the field)? Go head, respect yourself this time, it won't hurt if you did and show the post #, copy and past it here.
If you really paid attention by now you should have caught on that all your annoyances thus far have been based on assumptions. Reading and concluding things that are not there.
Every time I have asked you where have I mentioned such and such thing you have concluded and conjured, you provided no answer while at the same time asking me to answer your question which I have answered repeatedly in my previous posts. And I have been good enough to remind you that I am repeating the answer again.
You have had no come back to any of it.
You are welcome.
I am the best thing that has happened to you and you just toss it away.
I used to wonder why there is suffering in life. Well, I managed to live long enough to know the answer.
We suffer because we are full of ourselves. False pride, a false sense of self-worth. put-on respectability, pretentiousness. lack of compassion. And the worse of all, asking and looking for things one doesn't need and it takes on myriad formats and faces.

@Alchemy One

You missed my update. Did the math in the added link: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+sin(t);+differentiate+sin(t);+t=0+to+2*pi

And so I am left to do the math. And I am supposed to know the math. I still haven't figured out the instruction you gave me on the quote thing yet.... :)
So all I have now is to guess.

2 sign changes per period. 1 period =1/60 second =1hz (1/60s = 16.66666.... ms) You already know it's 60 Hz, not 1 Hz.
2*PI*f is known as the radian frequency. 60Hz, by definition means one complete cycle of a sine wave (0 to 2*PI) or 0 to 2*PI*f)'
The sine function expects radians as it argument`. There is 2 sign changes for on complete cycle of a sine wave of any frequency.
The points of inflection is shown where the second derivative is zero. The derivative of the sin(t) is the cos(t). Inspect where the cos(t)=0 forone cycle of 0 to 2*PI.

BTW: I hate math

2X60= 120 times change in the direction of the current in one second.

Status
Not open for further replies.