5V control of 24v relay

jonfarrugia

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Yes I see that now. However, if i did want to isolate the 24vdc then would this circuit work if I separate the Gnd signals?

Am I right in saying that this circuit is capable of controlling a 150ma max load?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Probabally, depends on the contact rating of the relay, although 150ma is pretty low.
What is the nature of the load?
You maybe could also use the same circuit with the 2n7000 in place of the relay and switch the load direct if low voltage DC.
Max.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
The data sheet shows an absolute max Ic of 150mA. I would never design a circuit that relied on an absolute max.Test conditions describe an Ic of 30mA. So, you may be ok at 50mA. Generally, I've seen optos used to drive transistors to drive relay coils. Note that your usage will have the relays triggered by a logic high.

edit: by the way, you'll need a flyback/backEMF diode to prevent damage to the opto's transistor.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Probabally, depends on the contact rating of the relay, although 150ma is pretty low.
What is the nature of the load?
You maybe could also use the same circuit with the 2n7000 in place of the relay and switch the load direct if low voltage DC.
Max.
Isn't it the coil rating of the relay to worry about?