555 water level alarm

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
A possible problem is that my circuit draws 9.7mA continuously from a 6V supply. 17mA in alarm. Though not a great deal of current, if this is to be left unattended for long periods of time, a battery might run down and leave you with no alarm. :(

:) However, I just just checked the circuit with reduced voltage and no water present, it goes into continuous alarm (no pulsing) at ~3.5V. Current draw is then ~13mA. I'm using a SONALERT tone buzzer rated at 1-5VDC, which will work at that low a voltage.

Can you explain how and where you intend to use you circuit?

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Are talking about a PP3 rectangular 9V battery? The alkaline ones only have about 550mAh capacity. With my circuit drawing ~10mA continuously, it might last over a week. 4 AA alkaline batteries @ 6V will last 3-4 months, maybe more. There in no advantage in using a battery with a higher voltage and less mAh capacity in my circuit.

Ken

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I have a question what/how are the sensors constructed? I am looking into making a flood alarm for my basement but my big stumbling block seens to be the sensors?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I have a question what/how are the sensors constructed? I am looking into making a flood alarm for my basement but my big stumbling block seens to be the sensors?
I always use stainless steel TIG welding rod...because it doesn't corrode... and I have it ;). You could use cheaper stainless steel wire from the hardware store. Sensor configuration is generally two conductors that both touch the water's surface at about the same time. A lot depends on where you're anticipating a flood. Top of a sump?...on the floor near a washing machine?...window wells?

Ken

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Are talking about a PP3 rectangular 9V battery? The alkaline ones only have about 550mAh capacity. With my circuit drawing ~10mA continuously, it might last over a week. 4 AA alkaline batteries @ 6V will last 3-4 months, maybe more. There in no advantage in using a battery with a higher voltage and less mAh capacity in my circuit.

Ken
Thanks buddy. But I'm using manual switch to turn on/off the circuit so I guess quiescent current will not be an issue.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
So now I've build this circuit and it is not working!:(
It doesn't mean the circuit is wrong or my soldering skills are questionable ;)
Actually it's not working in the water tank for which I intend to use it.
My first guess was conductivity of that water. Did little experiment! Added some salt (Na-Cl) to the sample of that water. And guess what?? It works so my guess was right!:D CONDUCTIVITY!!.
Now I feel I need to work around another method. Because I can't add tons of salt in the water tank just to make one simple circuit work.
So any different ideas??? I've read some people using IR or something?? How exactly? And any other options????

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Do you have a multimeter? Can you measure the resistance of the water (no NaCl)? Just touch the probes to the water ~1cm apart?.

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I have no idea what stuff you may have available.
You can make a float switch.
Google:DIY float switch
Lots of examples.
An advantage of the float switch/battery/buzzer alarm is that it only draws current when in alarm.

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Sorry about: Google: DIY float switch (smiley face)
It should have been: Google: DIY float switch homemade

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
A coat anger with a cork on one end and a loop, to act as a hinge, on the other. A leaf-arm "microswitch", with leaf resting against the wire. When the float rises with the water, the wire pushes up against the switch arm, closes the switch contacts, and sets off the alarm. Or a ping-pong ball in a short section of PVC pipe. The switch arm sticking through the side of the pipe. when the ball rises with the water, it pushes up on the switch arm, and....

Ken

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
A coat anger with a cork on one end and a loop, to act as a hinge, on the other. A leaf-arm "microswitch", with leaf resting against the wire. When the float rises with the water, the wire pushes up against the switch arm, closes the switch contacts, and sets off the alarm. Or a ping-pong ball in a short section of PVC pipe. The switch arm sticking through the side of the pipe. when the ball rises with the water, it pushes up on the switch arm, and....

Ken
Ohh!:confused: Can you post some images? May be painted in paint :p

ALL contact water level sensing circuits eventually fail. I know from experience. The most reliable level sensing circuits today are non-contact ultrasonic ones.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations].