555 Timer Police Lights Issue

(OCP)RoboCop

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello I am new to the forum but after looking around at other breadboard/electronic related forums this one stood out to me.

I am brand new to breadboard'ing and I bought a setup the other day to giving it a try and start to learn about how it all works and get a hold of the fundamentals of electronics.

In any even I started out by trying the 555-timer-circuits.com Police Lights circuit and when I was finished and hooked the 9V up to the breadboard I got one flash from the red LED's then they stayed on at a dim level and the blue lights don't come on at all.

I double checked the wiring and had a couple things off that are now fixed and tested all 4 LED's and they are working. I am suspecting I using the wrong resistor somewhere although my double check puts me in the clear.

Here is the schematic of what I am trying to do -

Here is my breadboard -

And here is the link to a video and other info on the project -
http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/police-lights.html

Any help will be greatly appreciated

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I don't see a supply to your 4017? Pin 8 to 0V and pin 16 to 9V.

... and pin 14 looks like it's connected to 0V and the 555?

Last edited:

(OCP)RoboCop

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Pin 16 needs to be on the 9V, as Paul pointed out.
Are these two pictures correct pin layouts of each chip?
555 -

4017B -

Sorry for the small pics that's all I could find for the time being

On the 4017 what number do you follow? The number in the black square or the number right to the side of the black square?

Thanks again for the help guys

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
Are these two pictures correct pin layouts of each chip?
555 -

4017B -

Sorry for the small pics that's all I could find for the time being

On the 4017 what number do you follow? The number in the black square or the number right to the side of the black square?

Thanks again for the help guys
Another way to know, Pin 1 is by the 'dimple'

Counting down from that pin you have 1-4 (on the 555) and 1-8 (on the 4017) directly across from pin 4 and 8 are 5 and 9 then count back up the other side. For these types of 'chips' this is always true.

Make sense?

Last edited:

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Black square pin 8 (VSS) on the 4017 to 0V. Black square pin 16 (VDD) on the 4017 to 9V. Have a look at the connection from pin 3 on the 555 to pin 14 on the 4017, it shouldn't be connected to 0V, remove that green wire link. There maybe other problems but correct them first and see how things go.

(OCP)RoboCop

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Oh ok cool I think I am on board with you guys now, I am going to have a once over with the suggestions and corrections you guys have thrown out there and I will let you know

donho

Joined May 16, 2010
The Polarity of the 1N4148 Diodes is not correct from what i see in the picture. They are 2 sets of common cathode. The ones on the right are definitely backwards, and 2 of the ones on the left are reversed.

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
The Polarity of the 1N4148 Diodes is not correct from what i see in the picture. They are 2 sets of common cathode. The ones on the right are definitely backwards, and 2 of the ones on the left are reversed.
Good eye. The top and bottom (left set) diodes are reversed. As already stated all 3 are, on the right.

Last edited:

(OCP)RoboCop

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Good looking out, you guys thought I was joking when I said I was a real novice didn't you? lol

(OCP)RoboCop

Joined Oct 27, 2012
So, working or no? Or still having issues.
Sorry for the delay been a little busy, so here is what I have done, I pretty much stripped the breadboard and started over from nothing and in the process I checked all the pins like everyone has told me and made the corrections as suggested I turned around all the diodes so the polarity is correct.

I have one question though someone mentioned pin 13 on the 4017 mine is hooked to nothing what should I have that hooked up to?

Here is a picture of my updated progress -

So the bottom line is I have nothing now lol before I had a dim dim flicker now I have no light no flash, 0

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
You don't have the 4017 enabled (pin 13 low). I didn't check for other errors.

Clearly, you need a more methodical approach to converting what you see on the schematic to a breadboard. It may help to redraw the schematic using component models that display the pins in their correct relative positions or at least make sure all pins are numbered on the schematic. One technique that some of us use is to "check off" each component, jumper or node on a printed copy of the schematic with a highlighter marker or other colored pen as the corresponding part is installed on the breadboard.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Most of us look at the datasheet of an IC or other part. The datasheet explains exactly how to use it.
But some people translate the datasheet into their own language then the translation is A MESS.

kc5tpa

Joined Sep 21, 2012
Sorry for the delay been a little busy, so here is what I have done, I pretty much stripped the breadboard and started over from nothing and in the process I checked all the pins like everyone has told me and made the corrections as suggested I turned around all the diodes so the polarity is correct.

So the bottom line is I have nothing now lol before I had a dim dim flicker now I have no light no flash, 0
You now have two grounds on both chips. Pin 1 and Pin 8, not a problem, but not needed. Put the green jumper to GND & Pin 13.

You're getting closer, can you turn the breadboard around and take a pic to see the power rails and those components.