555 Timer for a 120V lightbulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperslammer

Joined Dec 18, 2016
Hello everyone! I have a few questions about my circuit

I am using this thread and this thread as a reference. I am using the LM555 timer and the IPP110N20N3 G transistor. I am most worried about the transistor side.
  1. Do I need anything in-between the 120VAC source and the transistor?
  2. Does this transistor work with AC current?
  3. Do I need anything after the transistor?
  4. Can I use my 120VAC input source to power the 555 timer if I got through a voltage divider (or does this only work for DC?)
Thanks in advance,
J

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to AAC. Unfortunately, your circuit as drawn and discussed involves a non-isolated power supply. The owners of AAC have elected not to allow such discussions due to the inherent safety hazards.

From the User Agreement:
Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
Let us know what you are trying to do and members can guide you while staying within the TOS/UA.

Thank you for your understanding.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Your questions indicate a large lack of experience with AC power concepts. I recommend using a solid state relay instead of any discrete circuit for the AC driver. In this way you get tested and certified isolation, protection, and reliability. And while it is possible to power a 555 directly from the AC powerline, it is a much more complex design problem that you think, super-extra dangerous, and a rules violation that will get this thread killed - as opposed to getting yourself killed.

"There are seven stages to a human heartbeat. An electrical shock between stages 6 and 7 and you're dead before you hit the ground." - FAA radar tower safety instructor.

ak

paperslammer

Joined Dec 18, 2016
John and AK,

Thank you very much for your input, and yes, ak, you are right, I have very little experience with AC power. I am mechanical by trade, which is why I am seeking the advice / expertise of people who know more than I do about circuit design.

John, as you suggested, I'll start with the problem I'm trying to solve. Them maybe there can be guidance of a circuit that can safely achieve my goal.

I would like to flicker a standard LED bulb that fits in the standard A19 socket. That's my goal. 555 timer a good idea?

Thanks,
J

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need a DC source for both 555 and the Mosfet.
If incandescent, the light bulb will run off DC also.
You can use a Wall-Wart to supply the L.V. for the 555.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.