555 pulsed input, delayed on, pulsed output?

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
would this be poss. pulsed input from a 50% PWM sig connected to a 555, the 555 somehow waits for say 10 on/off's (adjustable) then switches on another pulsed output maybe using a second 555, then switches off when the input is switched off ?

Thanks

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Possible using a counter chip like a 4017 connected to the PWM signal. Or using a missing pulse detector. Is the PWM signal constant?
What are the requirements for the output pulse?

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the fast reply, the PWM is not constant, it'll be random when its on, the output will be a high bright LED, a small buzzer a relay or all 3

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
Not long, that would be the warning that the machine is getting to the end of its travel and would need attention, so probably a few seconds, then the motor would get switched off or reversed starting the whole process again, but maybe it'd need more than 10 pulses, is this poss, could it be adjustable

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
Its run from a 12v car battery, sometimes the battery has a small charger on that will take the voltage up to about 13.8v but if it needs a fixed 12v I can put a small regulator on it

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
That's no problem. Getting back to this random PWM is it a 12 volt signal as well?
Are you saying when it's generated it might be any number of pulses and happens intermittently?

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
That's no problem. Getting back to this random PWM is it a 12 volt signal as well?
Are you saying when it's generated it might be any number of pulses and happens intermittently?
Yes, pwm is 12v, its a motor speed controller that is on 50% and the on time depends on whats size piece is in the machine to be machined

How does counting pulses of a PWM signal tell you a machine is near the end of its travel?
Ive counted with oscilloscope how many pulses from start to finish,

What about a limit switch to detect "getting to the end of it's travel"?
Dont really want to as it'll make the machine untidy

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Are You working with a Mill or a Lathe, etc. ?
Save-up your Money and purchase an appropriate DRO Box
before You break something REALLY expensive.

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
Are You working with a Mill or a Lathe, etc. ?
Save-up your Money and purchase an appropriate DRO Box
before You break something REALLY expensive.
I thought it was "all about circuits" forum where we could ask for help with, hopefully a simple circuit, no worries if you dont want to help, I'll look elsewhere

Thanks

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
If it's going on a Mill, or a Lathe, or similar Machine, there is no "simple" solution.
Unless You really don't care if You destroy the Machine, or your Work, or possibly even yourself.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I thought it was "all about circuits" forum where we could ask for help with, hopefully a simple circuit, no worries if you dont want to help, I'll look elsewhere

Thanks
We prefer to provide solutions, rather than help people implement a ill-designed idea they came up with. In the extreme example, we do not give help with schemes that might result in injury or death.

@LowQCab is trying to help you prevent a disaster. I also agree that your “counting pulses” idea is not a good one.

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
We prefer to provide solutions, rather than help people implement a ill-designed idea they came up with. In the extreme example, we do not give help with schemes that might result in injury or death.

@LowQCab is trying to help you prevent a disaster. I also agree that your “counting pulses” idea is not a good one.
"injury or death",

thats a bit extreme, Im not 3, Im 50+ years old and safety is in my top 5

"I also agree that your “counting pulses” idea is not a good one"

so no one can have their own project or idea because you think its not a good one ??

As I said, no probs, you guys crack on with what you do and i'll ask elsewhere

Thanks

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
"injury or death",

thats a bit extreme, Im not 3, Im 50+ years old and safety is in my top 5

"I also agree that your “counting pulses” idea is not a good one"

so no one can have their own project or idea because you think its not a good one ??

As I said, no probs, you guys crack on with what you do and i'll ask elsewhere

Thanks
You apparently did not read my post. I said danger or injury or death was an extreme example, not that it applied to your idea.

This is a two way street. I give help here because I want to see people succeed, not fail. That is what I get out of the forum, and I think most of us here would agree with that.

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
You apparently did not read my post. I said danger or injury or death was an extreme example, not that it applied to your idea.

This is a two way street. I give help here because I want to see people succeed, not fail. That is what I get out of the forum, and I think most of us here would agree with that.
obviously to the select few you want to, you've given me no help what so ever, you just jumped in and as its a bad idea in your eyes youve scrapped it, started criticising and then bringing up injury or death B.S,

Im not an expert that why I ask on a forum like this, Ive been a member for a good few years and had some real good help, loads are willing to help, a few not so Im not going to bicker with you, as I said you crack on, do what you do, help who you want and I'll seek advise elsewhere for my little personal project

Thanks

Last edited: