40m depth sensor

anthony06

Joined Feb 16, 2006
Hello ..all

I want to measure continuity level of liquid in 40m depth with hole diameter is 20cm.
The sensor I want to use no contact with liquid.It is possible to use ultrasonic sensor?
I need your advice what is the ideal sensor in this condition? and easy to build.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anthony

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by anthony06@Apr 19 2006, 12:37 PM
Hello ..all

I want to measure continuity level of liquid in 40m depth with hole diameter is 20cm.
The sensor I want to use no contact with liquid.It is possible to use ultrasonic sensor?
I need your advice what is the ideal sensor in this condition? and easy to build.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anthony
[post=16301]Quoted post[/post]​
I would think a pressure sensor would be the best thing to use here. As you go down in depth the pressure will increase.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The "no contact with the liquid" requirement adds a bit of a challenge.

Ultrasound might work, depending on the liquid's acoustic properties. One could measure distance from the transducer to the liquid surface using something similar to a "sonic tape measure." A microcontroller could perform the math and display the volume. (Or could produce a signal, or do whatever else might be required here.)

If the fluid is of uniform opacity, then one could measure light transmitted through it. Perhaps a mirror could be placed at the bottom of a container, and the light bounced off it. Measure the intensity of reflected light to gage depth. Surface agitation will interfere with accuracy.

Depending on the container, one might measure the resonant acoustic frequency. This will become a lower value as the container empties out. This could be very annoying to persons in the vicinity.