4 Motors Circuit Puzzle

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Okay, I´ll make the junctions closer to the devices and more spaced out. Not completely sure about how the bus lines work. Could you send a quick sketch as I can´t seem to find anything in google?
Here is a schematic from an old project. Notice that there are power buses drawn horizontally. And signals / power is supplied to the second group with vertical buses. I also label the bus lines at several places so it’s obvious what the connections are. This may not be the best schematic, but it’s one I had.

Also, for the part about the current of the motors, does that mean that if each motor draws 1A at 24V, I´m going to need a battery with a max capacity of at least 4A to power all of the 4 motors at the same time?
Almost exactly! It’s not a Max supply of 4A. It’s a minimum of 4A. Current ratings work differently for power supplies. A power source will only supply the current needed by your circuit. If it’s less, then generally your voltage will drop or your circuit won’t work. So the current rating of a power supply should be GREATER than what your circuit needs.

And what would be the difference to plugging it straight into power mains rather than a battery?
I assume that you meant plugging a power supply or adapter into the mains. Because 120VAC will fry your motors and be dangerous. Power supply and batteries must still satisfy the requirements of your circuits. In this case, the must supply the required voltage to the motors and also be able to supply the current requirement (or be rated higher). In your case, you’ll need a supply rated for 4A or greater.

jfran99

Joined Apr 21, 2021
Here is a schematic from an old project. Notice that there are power buses drawn horizontally. And signals / power is supplied to the second group with vertical buses. I also label the bus lines at several places so it’s obvious what the connections are. This may not be the best schematic, but it’s one I had.
Okay thankss, what software do you use for schematics btw?

jfran99

Joined Apr 21, 2021
Almost exactly! It’s not a Max supply of 4A. It’s a minimum of 4A. Current ratings work differently for power supplies. A power source will only supply the current needed by your circuit. If it’s less, then generally your voltage will drop or your circuit won’t work. So the current rating of a power supply should be GREATER than what your circuit needs.

I assume that you meant plugging a power supply or adapter into the mains. Because 120VAC will fry your motors and be dangerous. Power supply and batteries must still satisfy the requirements of your circuits. In this case, the must supply the required voltage to the motors and also be able to supply the current requirement (or be rated higher). In your case, you’ll need a supply rated for 4A or greater.
Yeah makes sense

jfran99

Joined Apr 21, 2021
Also, imagine I wanted to have the 2 sets of 4 motors and 1 set of 2 motors operated individually and simultaneously in their set (like before), but also all of the sets simultaneously, would the following schematic work? (sorry for the horrible drawing)

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Also, imagine I wanted to have the 2 sets of 4 motors and 1 set of 2 motors operated individually and simultaneously in their set (like before), but also all of the sets simultaneously, would the following schematic work? (sorry for the horrible drawing)
I would hope that with your experience gained from your last homework assignment, you can answer your own question. If you can’t, all my help was in vain.

So, what’s your answer to your own question?