Hi,
I am assigned a project for which I am required to do a 4 bit binary counter.
It is to be done with 74HC163. We are given a very simple block which has only input CLOCK, and 4 (as expected) outputs Y0, Y1, Y2, Y3.
We are also given another schematic which explains how leds work. 5V's at top, a resistor, led, and output. When output is low, current flows and led is on.
We are given the 74HC..'s data sheet and also clock cycles. From what I can gather it is pretty simple, as clock increments itself, outputs are increased as 0000,0001,0010 and so on. But it says I should provide the list of logic gates I want to use for this counter. As far as I can see, only gates required are 4 inverters since for example Y0 is on, I must make it 0V (instead of 5Vs) to turn that led on. But I am in the dark regarding the use of other gates such as AND, OR, XOR's etc.
Am I missing something? Or is it this simple?
Also, how to set the clock (in the first place working) and also how to make it's frequency low enough so that the effects are observable?
Thank you,
I am assigned a project for which I am required to do a 4 bit binary counter.
It is to be done with 74HC163. We are given a very simple block which has only input CLOCK, and 4 (as expected) outputs Y0, Y1, Y2, Y3.
We are also given another schematic which explains how leds work. 5V's at top, a resistor, led, and output. When output is low, current flows and led is on.
We are given the 74HC..'s data sheet and also clock cycles. From what I can gather it is pretty simple, as clock increments itself, outputs are increased as 0000,0001,0010 and so on. But it says I should provide the list of logic gates I want to use for this counter. As far as I can see, only gates required are 4 inverters since for example Y0 is on, I must make it 0V (instead of 5Vs) to turn that led on. But I am in the dark regarding the use of other gates such as AND, OR, XOR's etc.
Am I missing something? Or is it this simple?
Also, how to set the clock (in the first place working) and also how to make it's frequency low enough so that the effects are observable?
Thank you,