3x4 or 4x4 matrix keypad debounce encoder

igeorge

Joined Jul 2, 2010
Hi,
I have a serious problem with some numerical keypad 3x4 or 4x4..
I am looking for a debouncer/encoder.
Most which i found are obsolete, and the new one are manufactured with solder balls, which i cannot handle.
Any suggestion is welcome as long it is a current production and can be obtain from a regular electronic distributor like Digikey, Mouser and so on.
No Alibaba or Ebay.
Thank you

igeorge

Joined Jul 2, 2010
Thank you, but i searched for this product yesterday and is obsolete.
Do a quick search on Digikey or Mouser.
They will tell you the status.
I need a current production chip.
Thank you anyway.

igeorge

Joined Jul 2, 2010
Not yet. First i would like to read and get familiar with some of them, then i will post more questions if i need.
Thank you very much.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry,
I missed that.
It is just that when, that part (74C922) was introduced (ca. 1972) the microcontroller/microprocessor was in it's infancy. Since a μP/μC could duplicate the function of that part (74C922) at a much cheaper cost, the 74C922 quickly became obsolete by the late 1970's. If anything those microcontrollers have become even more capable at a far lower unit cost. This takes no account of the effort required to learn how to use and support the development of a microcontroller project. For a profit making enterprise it is a no-brainer. For a solo hobbyist it can be a bridge too far or a hill too high.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using a Micro, see the Nigel Goodwin Tutorials, Tutoriol #9 (Keyboard example), the code is also available out there in C if preferred.
But the matrix explanation and the example of what to do if two buttons accidentally pushed.

igeorge

Joined Jul 2, 2010
I would like to thank you to all of you for effort to suggest and support my problem.
Yesterday, i found out on Google a product from Max which does what i want - debunce the keypad.
It comes in 3 flavors and it it MAX6816/17 and 18.
Attached is the datasheet.
Once again, thank you very much.

Attachments