3s Lipo battery, usb charger and balanced charging.

Cyprobe

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Hey there folks!

I've got a question about safely charging a 3S (3 cells) Lipo battery. Is it possible, and safe, to charge each cell of a lipo in parallel with a usb charger (which is used for a 1S lipo)?

In other words, to put it simple:

1) A usb charger (5V) which is used to charge a 1-cell lipo (3.7 V).
2) Connect the ground of the usb charger to the ground of the 3s lipo.
3) plug the positive pole of the usb charger to the first, second and third cells of the 3-cell lipo (parallel), wait till it charges.

Do you guys think this is an acceptable method to charge a 3s Lipo?

I don't have any balanced charger for a 3S (yet), however I need to charge this battery ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey there folks!

I've got a question about safely charging a 3S (3 cells) Lipo battery. Is it possible, and safe, to charge each cell of a lipo in parallel with a usb charger (which is used for a 1S lipo)?

In other words, to put it simple:

1) A usb charger (5V) which is used to charge a 1-cell lipo (3.7 V).
2) Connect the ground of the usb charger to the ground of the 3s lipo.
3) plug the positive pole of the usb charger to the first, second and third cells of the 3-cell lipo (parallel), wait till it charges.

Do you guys think this is an acceptable method to charge a 3s Lipo?

I don't have any balanced charger for a 3S (yet), however I need to charge this battery ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
It is possible but not recommended. The balancing port is not recommended for use as the charging current. These wires are generally small and may overheat.

Second, any accidental (or misunderstood) connection to the charging port pins, the results could be bad.

Finally, fire is a real issue with lithium batteries. Get a decent charger, put the battery on a non-combustible surface when charging.

Cyprobe

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Have the same feeling. It should work but the risk is high for a bare-bones diy lipo charger.

Could you elaborate on that:
The balancing port is not recommended for use as the charging current. These wires are generally small and may overheat.
The wires from the usb adapter connected to the Lipo pins? So they could drive the Joule heating to the battery and bang?

Also, how about those 15 bucks chargers? Seen them on amazon and other online shoppers, they all have positive reviews, but the low price is a warning sign for me for this kind of application...