3D Printer Recommendations

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Guys.
I need to buy a 3D printer for my work place.
I got a decent sized CNC last year and its been a blast.

Next is the 3D printer. Since this thing is new to me I like to know if any of you got any reliable sources.
I had very bad customer support on the CNC, since it was from china. The CNC was not new to me so I was able to fix any problem that came my way. But the 3D printer is something I am not tht familiar.
I rather buy from a reliable source tht provides good customer support.
The print area needs to be atleast 300mm all around. With multiple filament type capability.
My budget is around $400 or so.
Thanks
KR Rifaa

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hey @R!f@@, good to see you back.
There is a long thread on 3D printers started by @cmartinez here.

I got a Creality Ender 3 Pro back in January and dived straight into 3D printing for the first time.
Lot's of things to learn. I think I could become a mechanical engineer in my next life. The CAD design part is the real fun part. Being in lockdown I cannot think of anything else that can beat coping with the boredom.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am in the process of building a robot tractor. This is a lead up to my robotic lawn mower next.
Here is a photo of the wheel and tractor tread.

wheel_and_track.jpg

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey @R!f@@, good to see you back.
There is a long thread on 3D printers started by @cmartinez here.

I got a Creality Ender 3 Pro back in January and dived straight into 3D printing for the first time.
Lot's of things to learn. I think I could become a mechanical engineer in my next life. The CAD design part is the real fun part. Being in lockdown I cannot think of anything else that can beat coping with the boredom.
Thanks Chips. It's good to be back.
How much did your machine cost ?
Where did you buy it from ?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The print area needs to be atleast 300mm all around. With multiple filament type capability.
My budget is around $400 or so.
Thanks
KR Rifaa
I just noticed your requirements.

Creality Ender 3 Pro print volume is 220 x 220 x 250mm, now listed as US$240.

3D printing takes time. A 25g object may take about 4 hours to print.
Having one printer for personal use is ok. For company use, you will want multiple printers for simultaneous jobs on the go, especially if you want to print different materials, PLA, ABS, wood, flex, etc. Dedicate one printer for one material.

For complicated mechanical objects, you may consider getting a dual-extrusion printer. One extrusion prints ABS and the other extrusion prints supports using HIPS (high impact polystyrene). The HIPS is dissolved away with limonene after the print is completed.

You also want to consider a resin printer as well as a filament printer. Be aware that resin printing is messy and needs proper ventilation. You also need an additional UV lamp for after-print curing and lots of IPA (isopropyl alcohol) for cleanup.