Completed Project 3D printed enclosure for frequency counter module

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
0 220918 freak counter.jpg

A while back I came across a really nifty frequency counter module on Amazon. It was a bit tricky to use but thanks to my fellow users on AAC I was able to power it up at least I also have a much older model that I will be using in another project . As for this model I went ahead and made a 3D case which came out rather well if I do say so myself . So I will publish the plans for this case in any other information that someone might need to recreate one. Even though this module is a current hog I decided to go with a 9 Volt battery I used a rechargeable lithium ion rather than keep replacing it with expensive alkaline batteries. Lithium ion batteries are also much deeper than conventional batteries of any sort which factored into this decision. I 3D printed a couple of minor buttons, I call button studs and painted for this picture to make them stand out. This module really really needs a data sheet, pushing the buttons bring out all sorts of interesting features that I have no clue how to use. Apparently he could read have a frequency readout for a radio by measuring the IF frequency and doing the math to compensate the readout. The module itself is rated up to 999 MHz And down to 0.1 Hertz. Apparently it is not very sensitive for radio frequency use so I drew a preamp that I am not going to build for a user who is interested in trying it out. On second thought while testing this unit it is not very sensitive So a preamp is almost definitely necessary. However since most of my uses will be digital I still am not going to add it to this build. the option To add one later is always open though.

Front end amplifier.png
Preamp

Battery Retainer #1.jpg
battery retainer (click image for an enlarged view)​

Because soldering inside the case is almost impossible for me I tried a concept on my 3D prints I've been kicking around for a while, I made a panel that is easily removable and added to the end of the enclosure that made the BNC connector much easier to solder.I will probably use these removable panels in almost all of my builds from now on. You will need qty 8 2mm x 0.5'Allen cap screws (I bought a kit a while back which I do not regret). These screws are required to use on the module. Since I had them on hand I also used them to attach the lid to the box.I made the holes in the enclosure the tap size for these screws, the screws can make their own threads and the soft plastic. No tap needed. Even though I bought one from Amazon, it is not worth returning.I bought and cut down a piece of blue Acrylic sheet to use for the bezel on the display.

Some of the pieces for this take quite a while to print. The enclosure was almost 8 hours. In many cases I reprinted these several times to get the dimensions right. While it may not be a clear view this picture shows how the battery retainer Is used to make the 9 Volt battery stay put. Basically it fits between the battery and the little box that is in the main enclosure.

Attachments

Last edited: