3 way switch in a Camper Van conversion

danjplatte

Joined Aug 29, 2018
Hello all,

I would like to make a 3 way switch in the camper van that I am building. I want to control the cabin lights on the dash, but also be able to turn them on or off in the rear of the van. I know that this could be done with a SPDT switch but I have yet to find a rocker switch that is ON/ON. (Just like an AC 3 way switch for a house) I do not want a ON/OFF/ON as I am sure I would leave it in the OFF position and cause myself headaches. Any help would be amazing.

The lights I am using are LED RV style Lights

and I was trying to stay with a Waterproof Marine Rocker Switch style of switch.

Thank you.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
A 5 pin cube relay is a cheap easy solution

Control the relay with an ON/OFF switch, to terminal 86(coil+), ground pin 85(coil-)
Input power supply through pin 30(common)
Terminal 87 (NO) will be powered with switch ON, Terminal 87a(NC) will be powered with switch OFF

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Check out digikey, mouser, or any other electronics type place. Usually you can narrow down your search for an on - on type switch and go from there. Digikey has a few choices, but a marine grade switch may be a long shot.

If it's only a few lights a simple switch will do the trick... if it's more than that you'll have to pay attention to the current ratings and probably do the relay cork_ie mentioned.

just realized MrChips beat me to it while I was figuring out what to say

danjplatte

Joined Aug 29, 2018
A 5 pin cube relay is a cheap easy solution

Control the relay with an ON/OFF switch, to terminal 86(coil+), ground pin 85(coil-)
Input power supply through pin 30(common)
Terminal 87 (NO) will be powered with switch ON, Terminal 87a(NC) will be powered with switch OFF

Would I need two relays? Could you do a simple diagram? Thank you so much for your help.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
All you need is a couple of SPDT switches wired as below:
3 Way Switch LED.png

I assume your cabin lights are low current LED so just wire it like the above using a suitable rocker switch. I see no reason for relays?

<EDIT> Corrected switch type. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited: