3 pin fan connector wires

ilsapoel

Joined Apr 23, 2019
Hello guys, i need to know which two of the cables are the positive and ground, as everything is black on this pin. There is a symbol on it which is like half an arrow on the right part. Does that indicate anything!?
Thanks for the help

Attachments

ilsapoel

Joined Apr 23, 2019
To what kind of equipment is the fan connected?
Show us the rest of the fan and equipment.
Thanks for the reply,
The actual one was the pump pin but it is the same. This is an all in one cpu cooler and I basically want it for a project (not actually cpu cooling) and so it will be powered by a 12v power supply. To power it i grabbed some male pins and just plugged in only 2 of the 3 cables, so that then goes directly on the power supply. That's why i need to know which are the Ground and +ive so that I make the proper male pin.
Thanks

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
The half arrow on the connector probably indicates Pin #1. This is put on by the connector manufacturer and doesn't tell you anything about what pin does what. Just a reference point.

Look very carefully at the cable coming from the fan and/or when all four fans are connected together and are ready to be plugged to the motherboard. You should be able to see that the wires are actually colored - this may be under an outer wrap, but you should be able to see enough to determine the color. Do you see red, black and probably blue?

fan1.jpg

ilsapoel

Joined Apr 23, 2019
Look very carefully at the cable coming from the fan and/or when all four fans are connected together and are ready to be plugged to the motherboard. You should be able to see that the wires are actually colored - this may be under an outer wrap, but you should be able to see enough to determine the color. Do you see red, black and probably blue?

View attachment 176573
Thanks for the reply,
Yes this is the case for the 4-pin fans but not for the 3-pin pump, which is completely black as you can see im the pictures.
Regards

Thanks for the reply,
Yes this is the case for the 4-pin fans but not for the 3-pin pump, which is completely black as you can see in the pictures.
Regards
It looks to me like it is a 4-pin connector but only 3 pins are used (3-pin fan) and that is not uncommon.

So, what I was expecting in your response was a "yes, I can see, red, black and blue" or something like that. When you can locate those three colors, and you hook up the pump and all four fans correctly (because those connectors are keyed), you can trace them all the way to where they would normally go to the mother board and that will answer your original question...

Hello guys, i need to know which two of the cables are the positive and ground
The red is + and the black is GND. So, to be extra clear...connect every thing up as intended for a mother board - tell us if the connectors are not keyed, meaning that they can only be hooked up together in one orientation.

Trace the red wire, from any connector, and note which position on the connector it goes to, on all connectors...and the same for black and blue. ok?

Edited to add: Ok, I may see your confusion. In the manual page, shown in this thread, their are two MB connections and the pump goes to one and the fans to the other. If you trace the ones for the fans, as suggested, that will tell you which signals are which (relative to the MB connector). Once you know that, you can see which they are on the pump, since the two Motherboard connectors are the same - right? am I following this correctly?

Last edited:

ilsapoel

Joined Apr 23, 2019
It looks to me like it is a 4-pin connector but only 3 pins are used (3-pin fan) and that is not uncommon.

So, what I was expecting in your response was a "yes, I can see, red, black and blue" or something like that. When you can locate those three colors, and you hook up the pump and all four fans correctly (because those connectors are keyed), you can trace them all the way to where they would normally go to the mother board and that will answer your original question...

The red is + and the black is GND. So, to be extra clear...connect every thing up as intended for a mother board - tell us if the connectors are not keyed, meaning that they can only be hooked up together in one orientation.

Trace the red wire, from any connector, and note which position on the connector it goes to, on all connectors...and the same for black and blue. ok?

Edited to add: Ok, I may see your confusion. In the manual page, shown in this thread, their are two MB connections and the pump goes to one and the fans to the other. If you trace the ones for the fans, as suggested, that will tell you which signals are which (relative to the MB connector). Once you know that, you can see which they are on the pump, since the two Motherboard connectors are the same - right? am I following this correctly?
Hello,
Sorry for the late response, yes there are two MB connections (3-pin pump and 4-pin for fans). I tried connecting my best guess of what was + and Gnd but didnt seem to work. I also connected a 100Ω resistor in series to reduce the input power and maybe not damage it if I was plugging the wrong pins ( I don't know if this is dumb or smart thing to do) since it is working with 5-12V but my power supply can give Vmin=11V. I also measured the voltage across the resistor while powering it and I got double the voltage to it than I expected (expected around 4V and got 8V). So I took my chances without using the resistor but didn't seem to work. My next step is to get a fan speed controller, connect both the pump and fan connections on it, and use the speed controller's connection to go directly to the PSU.
I dont know why im saying all this, but maybe im missing something that someone else can see.
Thank you