3 Phase motor run issues

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Hello folks.
I am running a 3 phase toy motor for a hobby copter project. The motor takes a PWM signal from an Arduino. It is supplied 12 volts from a benchtop power supply. ( The power supply is set at 12 volts and a max current of 10.2 Amps) The motor pulls atleast 12.3 Amps.

When I tell the Arduino to send the PWM signal to the motor, the motor is running for about 1.5 seconds and stops instead of 9 seconds. ( The Arduino code is set up to run the motor for 9 seconds)

I know that the motor is being supplied 0.1 Amp less than what is required.

Here are my questions:

a) Can someone tell me the physics behind why the motor even bothers to run for that 1.5 seconds? Instead of not running at all?
b) When the motor decides to run, why is it running for 1.5 seconds? Why not 3 seconds, why not 0.5 seconds?

Thanks for all the replies!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Apparently it attempts to run and the P.S. is folding back, at least that would appear as to what is happening.
Especially if there is no ramp up for the motor speed.
Why use a P.S. so close to the limit?
Max.

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Apparently it attempts to run and the P.S. is folding back, at least that would appear as to what is happening.
Especially if there is no ramp up for the motor speed.
Why use a P.S. so close to the limit?
Max.
Oh, thats the max the power supply can provide.

BTW, the Arduino is sending the signal to an Electronic speed controller and the Electronic speed controller controls the motor.

Thx 4 your reply.