3.5 mm jack extension from bluetooth amp board

guyf

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Hello all,
I thought of building a bluetooth speaker
The speaker will have as an input blueutooth or 3.5 mm line in
I'm thinking of using some board like this one :
GHXAMP TPA3118 Bluetooth Amplifier audio Board 30W*2 Dual Channel With AUX Bluetooth 5.0 Call NEW from aliexpress
I want to have a back panel on the speaker box that you can plug the ine into.
My problem is : on the board, if you plug a 3.5 mm jack it tells the board somehow that a jack is inserted and to take the input signal from the jack and not from the bluetooth. So i thought of dismantling the 3.5 mm socket from the board and solder some wires from the board where the socket was to a new 3.5 socket that will be mounted on the back panel. So, my question is : will it work ? and what kind of 3.5 mm socket do i need for mounting on the back panel ? Is it a "specialized" 3.5 socket ?
Thanks a lot
Guy

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You will do much better to get an extension cable to plug in to the existing connection and have a connection on the back panel. Unsoldering from the circuit board is asking for trouble if you are not very experienced at it. And getting all of those connections right is not a simple matter. Instead, get a short extension cable and mount the socket end on the back panel. The results will be better and it will work perfectly the first time.
The existing socket on the circuit board is indeed a specialized socket in that it includes two switches to disconnect the bluetooth signal when a plug is inserted. Thus you have at least 5 connections to unsolder at the same time. If you are not a master at unsoldering from circuit boards there will be problems, and likely the board will be damaged. So please, just get, or build, a short extension cable and use it.

guyf

Joined Jun 25, 2019
You will do much better to get an extension cable to plug in to the existing connection and have a connection on the back panel. Unsoldering from the circuit board is asking for trouble if you are not very experienced at it. And getting all of those connections right is not a simple matter. Instead, get a short extension cable and mount the socket end on the back panel. The results will be better and it will work perfectly the first time.
The existing socket on the circuit board is indeed a specialized socket in that it includes two switches to disconnect the bluetooth signal when a plug is inserted. Thus you have at least 5 connections to unsolder at the same time. If you are not a master at unsoldering from circuit boards there will be problems, and likely the board will be damaged. So please, just get, or build, a short extension cable and use it.
Hello,
thank you very much for your reply !
could you explain exactly how the extension cable will look like ? because i'm afraid that if i will plug a 3.5 mm jack to the existing socket on the board, and from it will come out a cable to a 3.5 mm socket on the back panel - if this is what you suggest - so i think that the 3.5 mm jack will open the the two switches and the board will think it uses line in all the time
thank you !!!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello,
thank you very much for your reply !
could you explain exactly how the extension cable will look like ? because i'm afraid that if i will plug a 3.5 mm jack to the existing socket on the board, and from it will come out a cable to a 3.5 mm socket on the back panel - if this is what you suggest - so i think that the 3.5 mm jack will open the the two switches and the board will think it uses line in all the time
thank you !!!
Many on-line sites sell cables and you should be able to find a picture on one of those. The extension socket looks a lot like the extension plug, except a bit longer and with an opening for the 3.5 mm plug.

guyf

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Many on-line sites sell cables and you should be able to find a picture on one of those. The extension socket looks a lot like the extension plug, except a bit longer and with an opening for the 3.5 mm plug.
Hello,
Sorry to bother you, maybe it's my poor english that doesn't allow me to say what i mean.
But, i think i know what an extension cable is. my problem is this : I take the extension cable and plug it's head to the board. in this moment the socket on the board opens(or close) the switch and from now on the board will take input only from the aux and never from the bluetooth.
thanks
Guy

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, now it is clear about what the concern is. Yes, as long as the plug is in place the bluetooth is disconnected. I had not considered that you might also want to use the bluetooth feature as well. Having the choice of using either mode does make it more complicated by quite a bit. The problems with removing the Aux input connector from the circuit board are first that it has five connections in a very small area that must all be unsoldered to remove the connector, and that is a challenge even for a person quite skilled at it. The second problem is knowing which of those connections would go to which of the five connection points on the new connector that would be mounted on the back panel. And there is another challenge because the new connector for the back panel will need to have the same switching contact arrangement as the connector on the amplifier circuit board.

one possible way around the problem would be a means to partially pull out the plug from outside the back panel, just enough to switch back to the bluetooth mode. I will need to follow that link to see what the board looks like and see if that could be possible. I was not able to make the link to the amplifier work, not sure why.

Last edited:

guyf

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Hi,
Many thanks for your time and efforts. Maybe this project is too challenging for me.
I will try a simpler project first.
and again many thanks for your time and have a lovely day :)
Guy

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One possible option would be to have the enclosure with the amplifier allow access to the area where the connector is mounted on the circuit board. If it is really a 30 watts per channel amplifier it will need some openings for air circulation. And how often would you be switching between the two modes? That would affect how simple the change over had to be. So it is time to think some more, and not yet time to abandon the idea.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good news here, indeed! I was able to make the link work, and I was able to see the picture of the amplifier board. I see that the AUX INPUT connector is on the side of the board. So all that you need to do is mount the circuit board positioned so that you can have an opening for the plug to go into the connector. The best part is that there would be no soldering and no extra parts required. It will make installing the circuit board in an enclosure more complicated but that is just a matter of measuring carefully and drilling one more hole. AND, based on what I saw in the picture, it would definitely be a challenge to unsolder that connector.

guyf

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Hello Mr. Bill,
it looks like you have cracked the problem (it's the right phrase i hope) !!!
I will order the parts and try to build it and will post pictures here hopefully.
it will take some time though because it's from china (long shipping time)
Many thanks again !!!
Guy