24V, 5A Dual regulated power supply using any voltage regulator?

prashant_007

Joined Apr 14, 2016
Hello,
I am trying to build 24V, 5A DUAL regulated power supply.For my application it is necessary to use any on these pair of regulators :- 7824,7924 or LM317 and LM337. But current limit of all these vtg regulators is only 1.5A
So, can any one suggest me any way to build such regulated power supply with current limit 5 amp.

Thanks
Prashant

prashant_007

Joined Apr 14, 2016
Thanks for your rply.
I have checked this possibility, but getting problem with negative side. transistor getting heated too much(after adding heat sink also).

Is there any other possibility?

Thanks
Prashant

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have checked this possibility, but getting problem with negative side. transistor getting heated too much(after adding heat sink also).
What are the test conditions?

What are you using for a pass transistor and what type of heat sink?
Is there any other possibility?
You could parallel regulators, but the typical solution is one or more external pass transistors mounted on the same heat sink as the regulator so the regulator will provide safe area protection for the power transistors.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can't do anything about the heat. It's an intrinsic function of a linear regulator.
The dissipation will be the voltage drop across the pass element times current.
For your circuit that would be (24-5)V * 5A = 95W which requires a substantial heat-sink, likely with a fan such as those used to cool PC processors, to minimize its size.

If you want to dissipate less power, you could go to a switching regulator, which typically dissipates only about 10% of the load power in heat or 2.5W for a 5A load @ 5V.