220 volt motor wiring - clay mixer

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
Hello,
I bought a second hand clay mixer (a Peter Pugger Pugmill). It is a beast. However, when I plug it in it only runs for 20 seconds before automatically shutting off. My suspicion is one of the previous owners cut off the 220v. plug and put a 110v plug onto it without changing the wiring. I am ready to convert it back to 220 volt, but don't know how the wiring should be set up. I have opened it up and have taken a few photos. If anyone can let me know how I should proceed, it would be helpful. Does the wiring look like it is set up for 110 or 220? How can I convert it to 220? Thoughts about next steps? Thanks for your help/suggestions. JoelIMG_3093.JPG IMG_3094.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That appears to be a ABB reversing contactor with O/L.
If this is controlling a motor, confirm the rating first see if there is anything on the motor itself.
Puzziling is that the contactor appears to show NC and a NO on each side?
The black pen marking appears to confirm 220vac?
Max.

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
Yes, someone has written "208/230 volts, 12 amps, 60 Hz on the motor" The machine is designed to mix clay in a forward or reverse motion.

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
I'm in America and the machine is from the USA. Not sure if that alone answers the phase question. I can see if I can find other details on the motor.

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
can you show the wiring to the motor , under the wiring plate, there's probably upto 6 wires connected.
I removed the wire plate from something that looks like a junction box on the side of the motor. Just a bundle of wires. It is in a very difficult position to view. What are the risks of putting a 220 outlet on the motor and plugging it in? Is that not a good idea?

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
1ph That makes a little more sense, is there anything els controlled by the AC on the unit, clutches brakes etc?
Max.
There are only three buttons that control the motor - forward, reverse, off. Very simple setup. The machine turns one direction, the opposite direction or is off.

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
Here is a top view of the motor. There seems to be a 'starter' mounted on top, and a junction box on the side. I can't get a good view of the wiring in the junction box. When I stick my phone in there, it simply seems to be a junction box. I do see a ground wire there. jundtionbox.jpg

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
Where is the terminal cover typically located? Thanks for your help.
I'm guessing that the thing that looks like a junction box is the terminal cover. I may have to remove the whole motor from the machine..... to get a good look at it. Something I was trying to avoid.

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
there will be 3 wires going into the motor, to alter it from Y to Delta, you need to take the terminal cover off the motor..
The delta-Y distinction is not at all common in the US, especially on single-phase motors.
If there is a choice of wiring, it will be 110 versus 220 Volts.

Well... the VM100 is 3-phase 240v only. Is that what the OP has? or is that just the available picture?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
All this talk of star delta, is for a 3ph machine, it is a 1ph machine and their should be no change needed in the wiring.
I would hazard a guess that this is a 220v 1ph machine and single voltage motor.
The OP does not know if the original owner ran it on 240v or not.
A call to the manuf. who is in the US should straighten it out.
Max.

jppottery

Joined May 5, 2015
All this talk of star delta, is for a 3ph machine, it is a 1ph machine and their should be no change needed in the wiring.
I would hazard a guess that this is a 220v 1ph machine and single voltage motor.
The OP does not know if the original owner ran it on 240v or not.
A call to the manuf. who is in the US should straighten it out.
Max.
Thanks Max. I'm not sure if it is the original motor or not. Until now, I haven't seen a model number on the motor - perhaps its mounted on the bottom. Would it make sense to you that the motor runs on 110 volt, but stops after 20 seconds because there isn't enough power. Does that sound like it might be wired for 220 volts and someone thought they could simply change the plug. I can try to call the manufacturer as well. Unfortunately the markings/model number of the machine, etc. are not clear. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.