2 power sources one output relay

parus21

Joined Mar 26, 2024
trying to set up my dust collector so that it can be controlled by my cnc controller and then a ivac remote control outlet when i want to use my table saw etc. dust collector is 240v single phase. my plan was to use a y splitter from my 240v outlet. one side going the ivac remote control outlet. the output of the ivac would go to 2 relays one for each hot leg connected to the n.c. pins. the second side of the y would be connected to the same 2 relays but on the n.o. pins. the coils of the 2 relays would be controlled by the cnc controller output and the common pins would go out to the dust collector. so if cnc is on n.o. pins are engaged otherwise dust collector is controlled by ivac remote control. i attached a schematic couldn't find 240v ac source symbol so just used transformer. just wanted to see if someone can double check if this should work in case there's something i didn't think of before i plug in my dust collector. fairly sure should be no problem. dust collector pulls 13 amps roughly using 10 amp relay on each leg, so 6-7 amps per leg. will that suffice or should i go bigger on the relays?

thanks for any help.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see the wiring diagram, it is not a schematic. One question is why are you using two relays with half of each one unused?? A double pole relay has two separate sets of contacts and so you could switch both sides of the 240 volt line with a single relay. Not only will that save the cost of a relay, but also it will be a better design and be more reliable and safer as well. AND it will take up less space.

parus21

Joined Mar 26, 2024
I have a bunch of 2 channel din rail relays i just put each leg on a different relay i could combine them in to one. Just had them seperated bc more spaced out in the box. If its safer more reliable i can combine them. Also to clarify dust collector is 13amps 120v. Converted dust collector to 240v which is why i specified 6.5amp per leg.
Thanks for the response.