2-Layer PCB layout for RF-signals

andkr

Joined Jan 26, 2022
Hello!

I am currently working on a 2 layer PCB-layout design where we are going to route a connector from a ceramic patch antenna to a SMA connector. We are planning on using 4 patch antennas and just need a PCB to connect to antenna to the switch were using, which has SMA connectors.

I need help understanding the grounding using 2 layer PCB, and what considerations i need to think about when designing this PCB-layout. As this ceramic patch antenna has a connector, there will be no need to integrate it into the PCB, as i can attach/detach it with the pop-on connector.

Do you guys have any tips on the design? Like impedance, trace thickness, grounding etc.

Thank you in advance!

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Hello!

I am currently working on a 2 layer PCB-layout design where we are going to route a connector from a ceramic patch antenna to a SMA connector. We are planning on using 4 patch antennas and just need a PCB to connect to antenna to the switch were using, which has SMA connectors.

I need help understanding the grounding using 2 layer PCB, and what considerations i need to think about when designing this PCB-layout. As this ceramic patch antenna has a connector, there will be no need to integrate it into the PCB, as i can attach/detach it with the pop-on connector.

Do you guys have any tips on the design? Like impedance, trace thickness, grounding etc.

Thank you in advance!
Can you give us a sketch please of where the antenna / connectors are going
is there any thing else on the PCB

The patch antenna data sheets I have seen, have strict instructions on how to mount them, tracking into them to meet the approvals.

If you need 50 Ohm tracks, a 1.6 mm thick PCB might be interesting to make the impedance on only top and bottom
( not done that for decades , smallest we use is the 4 layers as suggested by @Wolframore )

andkr

Joined Jan 26, 2022
Is there a reason why you're limiting yourself when 4 layer is much better and not very expensive these days?
We would prefer a 4-layer PCB, but we are using the universities facilities and were only able to print 2-layers cards.

andkr

Joined Jan 26, 2022
Can you give us a sketch please of where the antenna / connectors are going
is there any thing else on the PCB

The patch antenna data sheets I have seen, have strict instructions on how to mount them, tracking into them to meet the approvals.

If you need 50 Ohm tracks, a 1.6 mm thick PCB might be interesting to make the impedance on only top and bottom
( not done that for decades , smallest we use is the 4 layers as suggested by @Wolframore )
It is just the antenna connector and a trace out to a SMA connector.

We will need either 4 seperate cards, but if it is even possible to have all 4 connector, traces and SMA connectors on the same card it would be really nice!