2 diffrent light settings on 1 switch

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I like that idea better... keep the grounds connected and switch power.
You do understand that the original diagram was switching power? But, due to the wiring of the toy, it’s actually switching ground? The toy apparently is a positive grounded system and control is in the negative leads?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Not sure if there is any ground to consider... My granddaughter has one it's all plastic. Doesn't matter what you wire... it works.

ryan barnes

Joined Apr 22, 2019
no its not grounded i think im going to swap them because ive never really switched a negative wire anyway ive always done positive i dont think there would be such a problem on simple stuff but when you use a diode it may effect the situation i know that they did wire the resister for the leds on the negative aswell

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Keep in mind that if you swap positive and negative you COULD end up running the motor in reverse when you want it in forward.

There's nothing wrong with switching the negative side of the circuit. You can combine all the positive points and use the negative to switch lights on and off. Just make sure you put the diode in the correct way or you'll burn it out if you short it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
no its not grounded i think im going to swap them because ive never really switched a negative wire anyway ive always done positive i dont think there would be such a problem on simple stuff but when you use a diode it may effect the situation i know that they did wire the resister for the leds on the negative aswell
You actually have a very simple case. Youre switching a load that is simply on or off. There are differences between switching the positive side (high side switching) or the negative side (low side switching). In your case, there are NO differences.

In your desired solution, the only difference is in which direction you install the diode.

Personally, I’d leave it switched as is. Changing the leads leaves open several things that could go wrong.

ryan barnes

Joined Apr 22, 2019
the lights are on a different circuit so it should effect the motors and djsfantasi i the switch has 3 settings I O II, i want just headlights on while on the I setting then headlights and light bar on the II setting and the O will be off

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
the lights are on a different circuit so it should effect the motors and djsfantasi i the switch has 3 settings I O II, i want just headlights on while on the I setting then headlights and light bar on the II setting and the O will be off
I understand that. I still maintain that your original circuit is ok.