1980'S Analogue Oscilloscope Repair UK

Tony Elliott

Joined May 8, 2015
I have a Tektronix 606B (a rare analogue vector scope) I it works but the image sometimes flickers up and down. I need to get it repaired in the UK. I have looked inside, I know the dangers and that the parts are obsolete. If anyone one knows of a person or company that could help that would one great.

I have considered fixing it myself, I can build and design electronics as an amateur and I have the manual but feel a little out of my depth. if anyone has any tips that would be great :)
DSC_0266.JPG

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Does running time (temperature) affect it at all?
Do any control settings affect it?

Finding this kind of fault is tricky. Connect an oscilloscope to somewhere and see if there is a coincident jump.
The problem with that is scale of change. Suppose you view a supply rail and see a small jump in that voltage. How big a jump is signficant? Is the power supply jump a side effect of the fault or the cause?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It is possible that the jumps are not generated within the 'scope but by something external like the fridge/freezer switching on/off.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Another diagnostic method, of varying success rate, is to simply turn on the scope for a period of two or three days. Doing this seems to have some sort of re-generative effect on the afore-mentioned capacitors.

Tony Elliott

Joined May 8, 2015
Ive just found a fault. where the vertical signal from the potentiometer goes onto the circuit I tapped it with a stick and it made a jump on the screen. I will re-solder this joint and see.