1967 Edmund Scientific catalog

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I happened onto a 50 year old catalog and I couldn't help myself.

Here is the scan. I had to break it into 3 parts to upload it. I am not sure how to make a smaller one-piece version. :(

I hope you appreciate it as much as I did when it was new. I was in high school at the time.

Before you rush off an order for that great $2 bargain...
Remember that since 1967 there has been about 7.5 to 1 inflation. That $2 item would be more like $15 now. :-(

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

Here is the scan. I had to break it into 3 parts to upload it. I am not sure how to make a smaller one-piece version. :(

I hope you appreciate it as much as I did when it was new. I was in high school at the time.

Remember that since 1967 there has been about 7.5 to 1 inflation. That $2 item would be more like $15 now. :-(
Love it. I was in grade school at the time and I can recall studying every page of that catalog, wanting everything. For one xmas, my folks bought me one of the larger activity kits and I remember my dad helping me build a balloon-powered balsa wood hoverboard. We also bought a telescope a few years later. Ah, for the days that kids actually did things.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Edmund was the place back in the fifties and sixties. I just recently came across and bought an Edmund 4.25" F10 reflector telescope the "Palomar" with all the original parts dated 1958 for 100 bucks.The mirror needs re-coating but the instrument still performs very well.
SG

Great post. That catalog occupied me for many an hour as a youth,. They were definitely expensive (by my standards at the time), but wow was that stuff cool!

I was browsing the 1966 catalog available here and these two items stick out now (not to me back then). Anybody ever have them or have seen them?
ESac.jpg

PS, you may want to considering putting your scans up on archive.org?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I was browsing the 1966 catalog available here and these two items stick out now (not to me back then). Anybody ever have them or have seen them?
View attachment 158804

PS, you may want to considering putting your scans up on archive.org?
A high school friend had the digital computer. Interesting but very tedious to run. You played the controller by moving pieces of tubing around on pegs.

You can build your own:
http://www.retrothing.com/2009/10/build_your_own_.html

Much more fun was the Bi-Tran Six that I had in a class in high school:
https://archive.org/details/TNM_Computer_education_BI-TRAN_SIX_-_Fabri-Tek_20171010_0075

I was wondering where I could post scans. I will do that when I get a chance. :)

I've attached scans of the Bi-Tran Six manual I have. I thought they were already on the web but a quick search didn't find them. :(

edit: I removed the files that I had attached. They were not what I said they were. I am sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

Last edited:
A high school friend had the digital computer. Interesting but very tedious to run. You played the controller by moving pieces of tubing around on pegs.

You can build your own:
http://www.retrothing.com/2009/10/build_your_own_.html

Much more fun was the Bi-Tran Six that I had in a class in high school:
https://archive.org/details/TNM_Computer_education_BI-TRAN_SIX_-_Fabri-Tek_20171010_0075

I was wondering where I could post scans. I will do that when I get a chance. :)

I've attached scans of the Bi-Tran Six manual I have. I thought they were already on the web but a quick search didn't find them. :(

The Bay has/had one (the digital comp model at the bottom of the page posted) with original box and instructions for US$165...I was tempted.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

My dad bought one of every item Edmund Scientific sold, I believe :). At least it seemed that way. I'm glad he did.