17mb62-2.5 tv main board bypass

jmh474

Joined Jun 26, 2014
So I have a 17mb62-2.5 main board and power supply is dead, I know it's cheap enough to buy a used psu but I got given the TV and was wondering if its possible to to power up the main board with using a bench power supply so I can test the main board and lcd first.

I know I will need 3.3v - 5v - 12v which I can easily produce but is it even possible?

Full service manual can be found at kupdf

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

IMG_20190615_201814.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My suggestion is to utilize a computer power supply rather that try to use a bench supply, since the application is rather unforgiving if something is not right.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OTOH a computer supply can produce very large currents if there is a fault on the TV board.
Certainly that is true, a computer power supply is therefore likely to be able to support whatever current levels are needed, which may be quite high. And if there is a fault on the board that was not known previously then this will demonstrate that there was more at fault than just the power supply. Given the number of proprietary IC devices on the board, if it has failed it is not likely to be repairable, and so that would be the end without spending lots of money trying to repair it.
Of course, many of the failures that I have seen are in the supply for the CFL baclights and also the LED backlights. The backlights are not even mentioned and so we have no clues there.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One question now is how do you know that the power supply is dead? I have one set with a failed remote control receiver and no switch on the set itself. So that set seems dead.