12v trigger Relay wiring with external 12v supply

hallamnet

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Hi Guys.

This is my first post, new to the forum but would like some help with regards Relays.

I have not worked with relays before and just need a bit of guidance.

I have a Unifi UA-HUB that should power a 12v strike lock to open when needed but the 12v that is given out does not have enough amps for this to properly open the lock. The max rated 12v output from the UA-HUB is 12v 1amp.

I am looking to use a relay for this and an external 12v 3amp power supply but not to sure how this would wire up or what relay I would need. I have had a look on Amazon and eBay for some and there are loads out there but just need a hand choosing the right one.

So my question is this: - I am looking for a relay that will activate while receiving a 12v signal but will supply power from an external 12v source. When the 12v signal ceases, the relay will close

Can anyone help me with what I would need to buy and if possible, a wiring diagram how to wire this.

Thanks in advance.

Hal

hallamnet

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Awesome Stuff! Thanks for the speedy reply on this.

If possible, could you help me out how I would wire this. I am a bit unsure.

If I am right, I would wire in the 12v +/- from the trigger to DC+ and DC-, power from the 12v + supply to the IN1, - from the strike lock to - of power supply and NO to + of the strike lock.

Thanks again for this,

Hal :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi hall,
From the very limited information on the Amazon site, this is how I would connect.
Ref image.
The information does not specify the 'Signal Trigger voltage level' so a series Resistor may be required.

E
Note: the image shows a 5V relay, but you must order the 12V relay version
Image1.gifEG57_ 234.png

Last edited:

hallamnet

Joined Nov 18, 2022
Thanks very much for the diagram. Relay should be arriving today and will give it a test on the bench before moving it to the door access system. I will post a bit of an update later on.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
That resistor value should be approx 2k2 or 2k7, for ~5mA current from +12V, for the Signal trigger. Set that Jumper to suit the Trigger sense.
E