12v to 5 2A conversion

egizz

Joined Mar 1, 2023
Hello i am looking to power up camera in a car manufacturer says its needs DC 5.0V/2A power input . what kind of converter i need to make it work from 12v battery ?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
"Supply" means just that - it can supply 3 amps (max). You might only use half an amp, a quarter amp, 2.9 amps or even 3 amps max. Supply is like a soda bottle. You don't HAVE to drink the whole thing you can drink as much as you like as fast or as slow as you like but you can't drink more than what's in the bottle or faster than what can come out the spout or straw - etc.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
View attachment 305037
or something like this ? it says 3a but i guess its fine as long as its not less then 2 ?
This type is a good choice.

1. Some phone chargers may not supply 2 Amps. (be sure to check)
2. This type has convenient screw terminals as opposed to a phone charger that will probably have a USB connection, and who knows what for the input. (cigarette lighter?)
3. Mounting holes.

egizz

Joined Mar 1, 2023
yes thank you . i have ordered 15a converter . another question i had about power consumption as its 5v/2a how much will this drain battery if its like recording 24/7 atm i have 80ah battery but will probably add another 115ah

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
5 volts at two amps is ten watts. A ten watt load on a 12 volt battery will be 10/12 amps (less than one amp). at 100% conversion efficiency that would be over 80 hours to drain the battery. So three days 72 hours, should be possible with reasonable efficiency. But the actual camera current draw may be less, most of the time.

egizz

Joined Mar 1, 2023
Okay so i dont really need extra battery then as it recharges daily when driving i guess unless installing multiple cameras

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Keep in mind that a 12 volt battery is considered dead when it drops below 10.5V. (a lead acid car battery)

{from the web}
When is a 12 volt battery considered dead?
  • A 12 volt battery is considered dead when the voltage drops below 10.5 volts. This means that the battery is unable to hold a charge and will no longer be able to function properly. Generally, if a 12 volt battery has a voltage reading lower than 10.5 volts, it will need to be replaced.
{end web quote}

Also keep in mind that it says "Generally, if a 12 volt battery has a reading lower than 10.5 volts, it will need to be replace" Focus on "GENERALLY". There are many different types of batteries. Car batteries that have been drained by lights over night can be recharged from a battery charger and still be useful. Battery chemistry comes into play. You say you have an 80Ah battery. SOME IMPORTANT QUESTIONS: What type of battery is it? What is its configuration? Details are important.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Also, dependent on the battery type, charging can be highly important as well. Not all 12 volt batteries can be charged from a Walmart battery charger. Using the wrong type of charger can result in a lot of excitement, smoke and fire.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Being that it's a "car" battery, you may discover difficulty starting the van if it sits for a few days. Now, a second battery isolated by a diode can be charged and used as a secondary power source for the camera. MY "Dash Camera" has a "Motion Detect" program where it uses very very little current (don't ask me what that is) to detect motion. When motion is detected it records.

The problem with this approach is that the secondary battery will never be fully charged. A car battery requires a full charge from the alternator to be at 13.6V for a full float charge. The alternator can produce as much as 14.5V, and in rare cases as much as 15V when charging a battery. In those cases your secondary battery will see a period of charging at or above the needed level to fully charge the battery. The problem with diodes is that they have a forward voltage drop (or Vf). Depending on how many amps they can handle their Vf will vary. A project diode such as a 1N4001 will typically have a Vf of around 0.6V. Meaning at 13.6V charge voltage your battery will only see 13.0V because of the drop. But when using a diode capable of handling the kind of current needed to charge a car battery will have a larger Vf. To get an exact answer you'd need to select a diode and read its data sheet to get that information.

Years ago I had a second battery in my car just because I could. I used a Ford starter relay as a crossover switch to turn the second battery on. To keep it charged I put a 30 amp diode across the starter terminals and that seemed to keep the battery sufficiently charged so that when I mistakenly left the lights on I could just push and hold a button to keep that starter relay energized and start the car. Back then I knew nothing about how demanding high current from an alternator could jeopardize the alternator. So a second battery thoroughly drained COULD present a problem for your alternator. Use of a BMS (Battery Management System) that shuts the camera power off when voltage drops below a set point will limit how much its drained and thus limit how much recharging it will need. But then you won't get three days of recording from it.

Finally, on MY dash camera, I have a 64GB memory chip. Off hand I don't know how many hours of recording that will hold. Some cameras can not support that much memory. You might only get 32GB on your 1TB chip. Lots of things to be considered here.

{edited 64MB and 32MB to read "64GB" & "32GB".}

egizz

Joined Mar 1, 2023
i can connect two batteries together ? and use them as double capacity as well as charge them this way ? upgrade alternator if needed ? i wont be recording all the time as i drive my van during the day and have dash cam in it its more about night time .its smart wifi camera i am pretty sure its on all the time but records only when person is detected and uploaded to clouds then

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
5 volts at two amps is ten watts. A ten watt load on a 12 volt battery will be 10/12 amps (less than one amp). at 100% conversion efficiency that would be over 80 hours to drain the battery. So three days 72 hours, should be possible with reasonable efficiency. But the actual camera current draw may be less, most of the time.
Though whether or not there's enough left in the battery after three days to actually start the vehicle is another matter.