12v to 240v DC to DC converter.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Okay so recently iv been experimenting with different ideas for cheap inverters. I am wanting a cheap inverter , 50+ Watts to drive up to 5 9w 200v-265 led bulbs.
Also I wanted a higher voltage as it would mean cheaper wire.

So far iv come up with this design, I would appreciate any thoughts or issues you see with the design. The actual transformer is wound alittle different as I wanted to try afew cheap cores. Obviously I will need to test the design.

11.5v 230v
12v 240v
13v 250v
33khz. 50W
Screenshot_20210602-010040.png

Original circuit found online
unnamed (1).png
Mine - forgot to change fuse value
DCDC.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I see two different circuits running at two different frequencies. The connection between the two is less than clear. They are not adequately labeled and I think you might have a bit of a problem finding(fabricating(?)) a 2H inductor, but what do I know about such things.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
D2, D5 and C3 are a problem. Note their absence from the first design.
The voltage on the drain of the second MOSFET must go to twice the supply voltage when the first MOSFET is on - that’s just normal transformer operation. D2 and D5 will short it out.

The last thing the power MOSFET wants to see is a big capacitive load. And C3 is a big capacitive load on the output of the MOSFET. A series inductor is essential, otherwise pulse currents charging that capacitor will destroy the MOSFETs, unless you have a badly coupled transformer with lots of leakage inductance.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
D2, D5 and C3 are a problem. Note their absence from the first design.
The voltage on the drain of the second MOSFET must go to twice the supply voltage when the first MOSFET is on - that’s just normal transformer operation. D2 and D5 will short it out.

The last thing the power MOSFET wants to see is a big capacitive load. And C3 is a big capacitive load on the output of the MOSFET. A series inductor is essential, otherwise pulse currents charging that capacitor will destroy the MOSFETs, unless you have a badly coupled transformer with lots of leakage inductance.
Okay just updated the circuit. CIRCUIT.png