12v Power Distribution

MikiSJ

Joined Jun 3, 2020
This is my first post and I hope it is not too simple a request. I am an amateur astrophotographer and have a need for 5 (or more) 12v supplies to the back of my telescope and 1 (or more 5v) supplies. None of the instruments requires more than a couple of amps and the 5v supply would be for a USB hub. I am trying to reduce the number of power cables and USB cable running to the back of the scope.

I would like to run one 12v 10a line to a distribution box with fused connection to each of the 12v uses. I think a 10amp source would be adequate as not all of the uses would be required at the same time. I am more than willing to break out the soldering iron and I think I know how to do the 12v distribution using blocks and fuses but how would I down sample to get the 5 volts?

Please be gentle!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is way more efficient to run the AC mains out to the observation point and plug the power supplies into the mains. You can run DC power over medium distances, but the longer the run the greater the voltage drop.

MikiSJ

Joined Jun 3, 2020
But astronomers like to go to places where it's dark and no electricity. Stray Light messes up their celestial images.
I actually image from my backyard and a thirty foot extension cord supplies my gaggle of bricks and wall warts. I am trying to get down to one 12vdc supply and branch out on the back of my telescope.

With the right light filters you would be amazed at what I can capture on a CMOS sensor from my very light polluted San Jose, CA location.

I don't know what you have, but hopefully one 12V supply is all you need with a ebay switching regulator to get to 5V. You can add an Overvoltage protector for your 5V stuff. Hopefully everything can share the same common.

I was asked to provide a circuit diagram to run a 120V synchronous timing motor for a telescope that operated off of 12V. it apparently worked well. I just provided a diagram and parts list. it was based on a solid state replacement for an automibile vibrator for a tube radio I designed and built.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I recall way back when...I made a 12vDC inverter to drive a 120vac 60Hz clock motor using 2N3055 transistors driving a 120VAC to 24VCT transformer in reverse. This was slow it down to run on sidereal time.

bobcroft

Joined Aug 22, 2011
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I think I have enough to cobble something together.
Hi, just another thought to share, make sure the cable you use to carry the 12 volt DC supply is of adequate cross section for the maximum current you envisage to avoid any voltage drop and overheating. I can't see a problem with what you want to, I run a similar system for me 12 volt DC irrigation system. I use a step down converter from 12V to 5 or if the 5volt is really critical I use an adjustable step down converter to 8 volt and then a linear converter like a 7805 ( A) to produce the 5 volt. Probably not the most technically efficient but the parts are easy to source and cheap. The double step down reduces the need for heat sinking on the 7805.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Car USB adapters (or obsolete phone chargers) could be used for turning 12V into 5V, depending on how much current is required.
If you're looking for 12V connectors, consider the Anderson PowerPole. While they're not easy to panel mount or make waterproof, they are rugged, modular, handle plenty of current (depending on the size), and, um, hermaphroditic, so no male/female sockets to worry about.