12v lights operated using 2 switches

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
Hi
I am new to this forum so first I will say hello to everyone.
What I am wanting to do is operate my downlights in my camper van using 2 switches. I would like one at the door of the van and also a switch at the back of the van. This will allow me to switch the lights off and on using either one of the 2 switches. I have 2 button rocker switches but I am unsure how I would connect these up to allow me to do this. Could anyone point me in the right direction and if possible provide a diagram. Each of the button switches has 3 connection on the back. One has a led light on it but I can use another without led if needed. Thanks in advance.

Bob.T

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Are your lights powered by the van battery directly (presumed 12VDC) or by an inverter (presumed higher voltage AC)?

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
Welcome to AAC!
Are your lights powered by the van battery directly (presumed 12VDC) or by an inverter (presumed higher voltage AC)?
Hi
The lights will be powered from a 12v leisure battery i have installed. Thanks for fast reply

Bob.T

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
O----------------------- 1 ----------------------------------O
- batt + --------O O------------bulb --- to - battery
O------------------------2 ---------------------------------O
sw1 sw 2

Switch 1 connect to + batt if switch 2 (bulb is connected to 1 it goes on.
sw1 and ws 2 are able to switch the light.

Make sure to include a fuse.

Picbuster

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Automotive rocker switches often come with three terminals. Two of the terminals connect between the battery and the load. The third terminal is for the internal lamp in the switch. You cannot use this type of switch to accomplish what you want.

The type of switch you need is called a single-pole double-throw switch or SPDT.
A double-pole double-throw (DPDT) switch will also work if that is available.

In house AC wiring this is called a 3-way switch for whatever reason (whereas in reality it is a 2-way switch).
Hence look for either a SPDT toggle or rocker switch or a 3-way rocker switch.

Looks something like this:

This is how one would wire a 3-way switch for AC wiring.
The same applies for 12V circuits where the Mains is replaced with the 12V battery connection.

If your camper downlights are LEDs, then connect the battery +ve to the switch side of the circuit (Hot). Connect the LED +ve to the switch side of the circuit. Connect battery -ve to the -ve of the LED lamp (Neutral.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
If want to turn the Light ON or OFF from either locations then you need two SPDT Switches.
Having two SPST switches, wired in series allows either switch to turn the light OFF, but then the other switch cannot turn the light ON
Having two SPST switches, wired in parallel allows either switch to turn the light ON, but then the other switch cannot turn the light OFF
It is best to configure what is called a 3-Way Switch setup.
Using two SPDT switches - either switch can turn the light On/Off regardless of the position of the other switch.
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/switches_3way_switch_wiring.asp

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Yes, in the US. In the UK it's called a 2-way switch setup.
I believe, the reason it is called a "3-Way Switch" in the USA, is because it has 3 Terminals
And the switches that then connect between two 3-Way switches, is called a "4-Way Switch" - yes it has 4 Terminals.

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
Automotive rocker switches often come with three terminals. Two of the terminals connect between the battery and the load. The third terminal is for the internal lamp in the switch. You cannot use this type of switch to accomplish what you want.

The type of switch you need is called a single-pole double-throw switch or SPDT.

In house AC wiring this is called a 3-way switch for whatever reason (whereas in reality it is a 2-way switch).

The same applies for 12V circuits where the Mains is replaced with the 12V battery connection.

If your camper downlights are LEDs, then connect the battery +ve to the switch side of the circuit (Hot). Connect the LED +ve to the switch side of the circuit. Connect battery -ve to the -ve of the LED lamp (Neutral.
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 of these switches
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262037406389

How would I wire these up to work. They are SPDT. Cheers

Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you have a test meter that measures resistance or continuity?
If not, we can devise a test with a small battery and a torch lightbulb.

Without pressing the rocker switch, find out which two contacts are bridged.
With the rocker switch pressed, find out which two contacts are bridged.

You want to identify the common contact from the two tests above.
Once we know the common contact, we can take it from there.

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
Do you have a test meter that measures resistance or continuity?
If not, we can devise a test with a small battery and a torch lightbulb.

Without pressing the rocker switch, find out which two contacts are bridged.
With the rocker switch pressed, find out which two contacts are bridged.

You want to identify the common contact from the two tests above.
Once we know the common contact, we can take it from there.
Hi
I have a multimeter I can use what is it I do and I am looking for. Sorry for all the questions. Not that great with electrics. Would love to be. Cheers

Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
I have a multimeter I can use what is it I do and I am looking for. Sorry for all the questions. Not that great with electrics. Would love to be. Cheers

Bob
Hi Bob,

Set your meter to test the lowest range of resistance or a diode/continuity test if it has one.
Touch the two leads of the meter and check that it indicates a short circuit across the leads (either showing close to 0 resistance or the meter beeps).

Now you are ready to test your SPDT switch as instructed in my post #11.

If this doesn't work for you show us the make & model number or post a photo of the meter.

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019

Hi
I wired the 2 switches up as indicated but the result I got was not what I need. What I got was light comes on if both switches are pressed in at top or both pressed in at bottom. What I would like to do is be able to switch the light on and off using either switch. What kind of switches would I need to do this. Thanks

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
Hi Bob,

Set your meter to test the lowest range of resistance or a diode/continuity test if it has one.
Touch the two leads of the meter and check that it indicates a short circuit across the leads (either showing close to 0 resistance or the meter beeps).

Now you are ready to test your SPDT switch as instructed in my post #11.

If this doesn't work for you show us the make & model number or post a photo of the meter.
Hi
I ran the test and what happened was with the red lead connected in the middle. If I pressed up on the button and held the black lead on the bottom leg it beeped. If I pressed Dow and held black lead on top leg it beeped. Hope this helps.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
I ran the test and what happened was with the red lead connected in the middle. If I pressed up on the button and held the black lead on the bottom leg it beeped. If I pressed Dow and held black lead on top leg it beeped. Hope this helps.
Ok. That was easy enough. The middle terminal is your common connection.
Now you are going to wire the switches as shown in post #5 or #6.
Where is the downlight located with respect to the battery and the two switches?
If the light is farthest away from the battery, wire it as follows:

1) Connect 12V from the battery to the middle connection of the nearest switch.
2) Run two wires to the second switch, one wire from top to top of the two switches. The second wire from bottom to bottom of the two switches.
3) A wire from the middle connector of the second switch goes to the +ve terminal of the lamp.
4) A return wire goes from the -ve terminal of the lamp back to the -ve terminal of the battery.

If the lamp is closer to the battery, then wire from battery +ve to the +ve of the lamp first. If this is not clear let me know.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
I wired the 2 switches up as indicated but the result I got was not what I need. What I got was light comes on if both switches are pressed in at top or both pressed in at bottom. What I would like to do is be able to switch the light on and off using either switch. What kind of switches would I need to do this. Thanks
So, if one switch is up and the other switch is down, does the light go off?
You don't like that? What don't you like about that?

Bobtol

Joined Mar 1, 2019
So, if one switch is up and the other switch is down, does the light go off?
You don't like that? What don't you like about that?
Hi
Sorry what I mean is the light only goes on if both switches are switched either to the top or the bottom.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hi
Sorry what I mean is the light only goes on if both switches are switched either to the top or the bottom.
Sorry, I don't understand your problem.

You wish to control the light from either switch, i.e. you want to turn the light on/off at one switch without having to go to the other switch.

Does it not do that?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In the UK, switch position up is OFF. Down is ON.
Do you want to retain that functionality at both switches?
That will never happen. There is no switch combination that does that because it is not logically possible.