12v conversion - limitations and uncommon voltages

SNEW

Joined Jun 28, 2020
I'm trying to figure out how to power a network router from 12V batteries. The router I have requires 54VDC 3.34A and the batteries are 11-16.8V 14A Max so i'm looking for a suitable DC converter, ideally chassis mount.
I've looked in all the obvious places - RS, Mouser, Digikey etc but it looks like what I need doesn't exist off the shelf, so my question is this conversion possible? Should I consider a bespoke build and if so is something a beginner like me could attempt?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to AAC.
I think there is a fundamental problem here.
The router needs 54V at 3.34A and that is 180W.
The batteries can supply 11-16.8V at 14A. At the lower end of the voltage range that is just 154W and 235W at the high end.
The conversion will not be 100% efficient and at 80% efficient Even at the high end voltage the batteries will struggle to provide the necessary power.

SNEW

Joined Jun 28, 2020
Thanks for your response :)

Sorry I should have added more detail. The router in question can supply POE but it's typical consumption without POE is 19W. I would plan on utilising the POE but certainly not up to its 180W capacity. I was thinking to include a 14A fuse or circuit breaker to protect the battery.

SNEW

Joined Jun 28, 2020
Thank you, I understand why you add a caveat, though it is curious why something like that isn't available from reputable electronics suppliers.