128 by 64 Dots Graphic Matrix LCD

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Does the 128* 64 dot graphic matrix display is driven by using the same principle as in standard 16 * 2 or 20 * 4 LCD's ?
They have the same data pins as in 16 * 2 ones plus a few extra ones.

I am planning to meddle with it.
I would like some advice on the driving methods.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Does the 128* 64 dot graphic matrix display is driven by using the same principle as in standard 16 * 2 or 20 * 4 LCD's ?
They have the same data pins as in 16 * 2 ones plus a few extra ones.

I am planning to meddle with it.
I would like some advice on the driving methods.
Generally, no. More specifically, "kinda".

They are graphical displays and not ASCII character displays. So, if you are using the user-defined character registers on the 1602 displays, then each block works kind of like that. Do you have the datasheet for your specific 128x64 display?

The Nokia 5110 was kind of the first DIY graphical display 64 X 84 and the same driver chip is used on some bigger displays as well.

Do you plan to drive this with arduino or Pic?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Further to that, to display a character, say 'A', on the standard 16x2 type display you send the display the byte 65 (ascii 'A').
To display a character on a graphic display you have to send the correct pattern of dots for the character you want. Suppose you want to use characters which are 7x5 pixels, you would send 5 bytes with '1' where you want to see a pixel and '0' where you don't.
Have a read here: http://www.petervis.com/C/128x64/ks0108 geometry.html

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
No similarity that I find significant.
128x64 such as KS0108 displays are design to be used with some kind of graphics library with a frame buffer.
You generally draw to a RAM copy of the display, and send it to the display for every frame. The display RAM maintains that frame while you draw the next frame to the Frame buffer (the RAM copy). The particular complication I found with KS0108 driver is that the raster isn't a pattern of horizontal lines from the top of the display to the bottom.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I am a PIC guy.
Does the graphic display uses more memory ?
Yes. You need to store the character tables and the code to send them to the display is more complicated than with a character LCD. Having said that it is well within the capability of 8 bit PICs. I am looking at a 320x240 colour LCD driven by an eight bit PIC.

It does allow you to have pictures on the display and to use different colours and sizes of text.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Several years back I built a test stand using a PIC18F4550 as the controller element to monitor the testing and present results on one of these displays. The code fix just fine, though if I was starting this today I would choose a more modern (more memory) core to build upon.

When I went to add an SD card I was forced to do such an upgrade anyway.