125khz RFID antenna

brianmay27

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Hey all,

Im currently working on a project involving my motorcycle and a RFID authentication. Since space is so limited I want to have all the controllers at the rear of the bike and have the RFID antenna at the front. I was thinking for a simple proof of concept and to keep things simple I would use the parallax (http://www.parallax.com/product/28140) rfid reader and chop of the embedded antenna and hook up my own.

I am fluent coding and basic hardware protocols but when it comes to AC waveforms all my knowledge goes out the door. Anyway I want to know if I make a coil using magnetic wire, will I need to use a coaxial cable to travel from front to end to ensure as little interference or could I get away running the strains of mag wire? Again no idea what im talking about so if its improbable than lmk.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
at 125 khz, you will not have a real antenna, the size would be prohibitive. the best you can hope for is an inductive pickup. a coil on a ferite bar would work fine. check amidon associates for ferite antenna material.
cliff

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is it that you are trying to achieve? How far away from the antenna coil (which is really one side of an air-core transformer when all is said and done) will the RFID tags be that you want to read?

brianmay27

Joined Oct 7, 2011
at 125 khz, you will not have a real antenna, the size would be prohibitive. the best you can hope for is an inductive pickup. a coil on a ferite bar would work fine. check amidon associates for ferite antenna material.
cliff
Ok, good to know. So I would wrap the coil around the cast iron handle bar and that should work as an inductive pickup? Will this work if the RFID is above the handlebar or will it only work if it is at the end of the handlebar?

So lets see if I can make a visual..

_______
#=====0#==

So if this stays as it is, the # at the left is the end of the handlebar, the = is the iron handlebar and the right # is the junction box. The 0 would represent where the coil would be. and the ___ is the plastic grip.

Anyway I have a rfid chip implanted in my hand. Range is currently an issue but I have tested using a standard rfid reader it can read though my glove and some plastic.

Thanks for the info so far. I hope I have not just made it more confusing.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi,
Someone may correct me on this? But I think if you wrap your coil around a iron tube, the coil will try to induce a current in the tube and drasticly reduce the rfid range if not stop it working completly?

I'm curious, are you making a dead mans handle or such like in case you fall off:)

Cheers Geoff,
Ps I like rfid and bikes!