120vdc led driver help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peck76

Joined Nov 25, 2018
I have recently dug into a led tube light which consists of 4 led strips. Each strip contains 120 LEDs in 24 banks of 5 LEDs each. My issue is, there are 4 drivers for these strips, one of which must have gotten hot enough to melt the 120vac wire going through and eventually was destroyed so I'm looking to replace the one or all. I have measured the voltage from another driver and it reads 118vdc-124vdc. The voltage does bounce around until I connect a strip to it. Then I will get a consistent 74.8vdc as long as the load is there. The voltage across 1 led is 3.3vdc and the same 3.3vdc across the bank of 5.

I have done a search for the number stamped on the driver and have found nothing. I have also searched for 120vdc drivers, 75vdc drivers, converters, etc and again a dead end. Can someone please explain to me how in could either build a driver for the entire light ie: convert the 120vac to DC? Should the driver be 120vdc or the 75vdc out? Or would it be possible to connect a 12vdc driver to it?

Suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
MOD: cleaned up your image.E

20181130_000652_Peck76.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I have recently dug into a led tube light which consists of 4 led strips. Each strip contains 120 LEDs in 24 banks of 5 LEDs each. My issue is, there are 4 drivers for these strips, one of which must have gotten hot enough to melt the 120vac wire going through and eventually was destroyed so I'm looking to replace the one or all. I have measured the voltage from another driver and it reads 118vdc-124vdc. The voltage does bounce around until I connect a strip to it. Then I will get a consistent 74.8vdc as long as the load is there. The voltage across 1 led is 3.3vdc and the same 3.3vdc across the bank of 5. I have done a search for the number stamped on the driver and have found nothing. I have also searched for 120vdc drivers, 75vdc drivers, converters, etc and again a dead end. Can someone please explain to me how in could either build a driver for the entire light ie: convert the 120vac to DC? Should the driver be 120vdc or the 75vdc out? Or would it be possible to connect a 12vdc driver to it? Suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi,
Please be carefull with connecting such loads, its dangerous, especially from reading your post.

Can you post a circuit or some pictures at least.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Peck,
Welcome to AAC.
The module is a non mains isolated power supply for LED's, this type of power supply contravenes AAC's T&C's.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.