I actually had one of these "hacked" as well. It doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, although I've tried rewinding a transformer a couple of times, let's just say it's not my forte. It occurs to me that the same principle of simply connecting several of the 12v lines + 5v + 3.3v in a combination of series and parallel could get me to 80v but I have no clue about the amps. Does that seem possible?the only way to reduce weight and size is to increase frequency use SPS). there is just no way around this if you want output to be isolated.
next question is if you want to buy or build or hack existing one. good candidates may be SMPS for audio amps. They tend to provide dual output (+/-35 or 40V). Personally i would go consider hacking 500W PC PowerSupply due low cost, then rewind the secondary, and throw in pot to adjust output voltage. I am using smaller one right now to get 1-25V output and up to 30A (not at the same time). All i did was add potentiometer and output terminals.