12 Volt relay for turn signals?

Catboxninja

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Hello and apologies if this has been posted before as I have scoured the forums without much luck.
I am working on a 12 volt motorcycle system and trying to wire the turn signal warning light (it’s the, “you left your turn signal on dummy!” Light) to one single light instead of two. As the manual states, and I have tested, if I connect the two positive leads together on the warning light and hit the turn signal both left and right come on as it completes the circuit. <~ The conundrum. My thought was to wire in a 12 volt SPDT Relay. Wire 87a to positive left turn signal, positive right turn signal to 87, positive left turn signal to 85, ground 86 then output 30 to the light. Am I on the right track? Will this work to alternate the circuits when I hit the turn signal?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Simpler would be to connect the two positive leads to the anodes of two diodes and connect the other end of the diodes (the cathodes) together and then to the warning light. The diode prevents back feeding to the turn signals.

Catboxninja

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Simpler would be to connect the two positive leads to the anodes of two diodes and connect the other end of the diodes (the cathodes) together and then to the warning light. The diode prevents back feeding to the turn signals.
That makes way more sense and would be cheaper and cleaner install. Much appreciated, thank you for the reply!!