12 volt motor characteristics

mendoza

Joined Nov 8, 2021
I am looking for a DC motor to make an olive vibrator. I would like to make the system as simple as possible. The motor is going to be connected to a 12 volt car battery. I am not an expert in motors but as the battery has an intensity between 20 and 50 amps, according to the formula Intensity = power/voltage, I should look at motors between 240 and 600 watts of power?

Where can I find motors with these characteristics?

Thanks for your help! :)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

I'm afraid you are going about this backwards. Designing for a battery rather than for the task at hand is a mistake. To specify the motor you have to have some idea how much power the motor needs to sufficiently shake the tree. You can do this empirically by testing different motors but that is probably impractical. If I was doing this, I would try to find successful examples and look at the motors used in them, then figure out what power supply is needed.

Good luck.

mendoza

Joined Nov 8, 2021
Thank you for your response Yaakov!

Most of these machines use 12 volt motors and a power of about 250 watts, so that's enough (I haven't found any more information of the motors). And they are connected to a car or farm tractor 12 volts battery. Where can I find good motors with these characteristics? What other things would I have to find out about the motors?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you for your response Yaakov!

Most of these machines use 12 volt motors and a power of about 250 watts, so that's enough (I haven't found any more information of the motors). And they are connected to a car or farm tractor 12 volts battery. Where can I find good motors with these characteristics? What other things would I have to find out about the motors?
You will need to know the expected rotational speed (RPM) because the mechanism will depend on that. You might need to know the duty cycle since cooling could be a problem for such a relatively high powered motor.

You might just be able to buy a replacement motor for an existing commercial device and use that.

mendoza

Joined Nov 8, 2021
No, I'm looking for a geared motor with those characteristics and then I'm going to put some connecting rods to simulate the vibration. I want to do something similar to what is described in this video:

Attached photo

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
No, I'm looking for a geared motor with those characteristics and then I'm going to put some connecting rods to simulate the vibration. I want to do something similar to what is described in this video:

Attached photo
That's a rake style branch shaker, not a whole tree shaker. I am confused now.

mendoza

Joined Nov 8, 2021
I think it's a great idea! I'm going to try it with my old drill and see how it works.

Thanks for your time. You have been a great help!