12 VDC into 2KVDC? How would you go about it? Probably a stupid question and I'll only build it IF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Considering how to turn 12 VDC (13.8 VDC more likely) into around 2,000 volts DC. Considering a project but might not attempt - not if it's too unsafe. So how would you go about building such a circuit. Don't need much current, probably 2 amps at the MOST. May even work with as little as 500 mA. Of course I'm no engineer, and I'm not looking for someone to engineer a project for me. Let me know what you think and I'll fill in any questions you may have.

I'm wondering if I could build a microwave jammer.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you realize that 2000 Volts @ 2 Amperes is 4000 Watts?
With an efficiency of 80% would it draw about 360 Amperes @ 13.8 Volts.

Bertus

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
2kVDC and a microwave jammer are different animals. Both of them will require more than a little bit of skill for the design and construction.

As has already been pointed out 4000 watts coming out of a DC source can melt wire and weld contacts.
For the jammer you want a wideband microwave source with considerable power output. The problem here is that everything about such a circuit wants to dissipate power in useless ways.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, then maybe I shouldn't continue with this silly notion.

So let me ask: What would happen if I took a spark coil and a magnetron? Of course I'd shield the radiation.

Here's what I've been wondering: I have a light on a corner that takes forever and a week to change. Even when you're the only one there and nobody is coming the other way. They have these little white antenna boxes on the pole that is supposed to detect the presence of a car. Wondering what would happen if I took a magnetron and shocked it with a single charge from an ignition module. Would the receiver see something and decide there was a car waiting?

Yeah, I know this is probably getting into all kinds of legal issues. Just wondering mostly. Have a healthy respect for magnetrons and what they can do.

[edit] was thinking of 12 volts half amp to two amps most.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You know the User Agreement ?
There it states the following:

Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post. Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.