12 pin IDC to 15 pin VGA adaptor build

Thread Starter

lawrence101

Joined Oct 23, 2017
53
Hi just joined up. Im trying to build a 12pin to 15pin video out adaptor/cable and i ran into a problem im hoping someone has the answer to. Is there a standard pin out I.D. for a IDC connector?
 

Thread Starter

lawrence101

Joined Oct 23, 2017
53
What is the source/site of the IDC?
Max.
Hi Max thanks for replying. The 12 pin IDC connector plugs into a video board/card for my computer. The board has 3 outputs; DVI HDMI and VGA. But the cable for the VGA output is missing, so i thought i could build one from scratch. Problem is i cant find much info on the pin out I.D. for the Male IDC connector on the video board.
 

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
30,816
I must be missing something?
The card just appears to have the standard D-sub VGA socket, where does the IDC come in?
The board should just fit in a spare PC slot!
Max.
 

Thread Starter

lawrence101

Joined Oct 23, 2017
53
The D-sub VGA female socket is mounted in a separate bracket. My computer is a inspiron 537s ( small form factor), the VGA socket has a ribbon cable that plugs into a 12 pin dual( 6x2) header on the video board/card via a 12 pin female IDC socket.The pins are numbered 1,3,5,7,9,11 on one side and 2,4,6,8,10,12 on the other.
From looking at the traces on the board it appears that pins 5,7,9, and 11 are grounded , pins 1, 2 and 3 are the red, green and blue video outputs, pin 4 is not used. This leaves four pins 6,8,10,12 unassigned.
I already know the pin assignment for the VGA 15 pin female socket .
 

Thread Starter

lawrence101

Joined Oct 23, 2017
53
The D-sub VGA female socket is mounted in a separate bracket. My computer is a inspiron 537s ( small form factor), the VGA socket has a ribbon cable that plugs into a 12 pin dual( 6x2) header on the video board/card via a 12 pin female IDC socket.The pins are numbered 1,3,5,7,9,11 on one side and 2,4,6,8,10,12 on the other.
From looking at the traces on the board it appears that pins 5,7,9, and 11 are grounded , pins 1, 2 and 3 are the red, green and blue video outputs, pin 4 is not used. This leaves four pins 6,8,10,12 unassigned.
I already know the pin assignment for the VGA 15 pin female socket .

no takers ? :[

:(
 

Thread Starter

lawrence101

Joined Oct 23, 2017
53
Hello,

From your text, I am missing the sync signals:
http://www.hardwarebook.info/VGA_(VESA_DDC)

Was the card delivered with a low profile bracket?
As far as I can see there is a vga connector on the normal bracket:

View attachment 138203

Bertus
Hi Bertus, thnks for replying.
I bought the computer second-hand, the video card was already installed . I wanted to connect 3 monitors but noticed there were only 2 outputs available on the video card, from a quick google search i found out it should have 3 outputs. On removing the card from the computer i noticed that the VGA output cable was missing. So i thought i would simply build a VGA cable output from scratch since i have all the parts on-hand to build one, e.g. a VGA socket, ribbon cable, D-sub low profile bracket and 12 pin IDC connector. Problem is i dont have a complete pin out I.D for the 12 pin header on the video driver board.
 
Top