12 motor rewind?

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
hi hope some one can enlighten me,
my first question is
i have a small 12v dc motor and wondered if its possible to have it re-wound to make it 24v?
thanks mark.

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
hi thanks for your reply's
i will try and find someone who specializes in rewinds in the new year to find out availability and cost,
was hoping to re use the existing motor as its mounts to a small gearbox and fitting a new motor would require extensive alterations but not impossible. would be nice to unbolt and rebolt.
the reason for my question is the 12v motor is under powered, and i thought 24v with a speed controller would be ideal
thanks for the help mark

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A motor with the same frame size is no more powerful on 24vdc.
The motor will need to be rewound with the maximum current in mind, which will be less than the 12v version, so the final outcome will most likely be the same.
The only way to possibly get more torque from the 12v motor is to overdrive it with higher voltage in order to get more torque (higher current), you would need to keep an eye on overheating, if it is not a continous load, you may get away with the result you need.
Max.

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
The motor will need to be rewound with the maximum current in mind, which will be less than the 12v version, so the final outcome will most likely be the same.
The only way to possibly get more torque from the 12v motor is to overdrive it with higher voltage in order to get more torque (higher current), you would need to keep an eye on overheating, if it is not a continous load, you may get away with the result you need.
Max.
Max.

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
ok thankyou im not controlling it as such,only need it to run in one direction but will need to control the speed only.
sorry for my lack of knowledge but would i need to check the amps under load with it running on 24v to determine which speed controller would be enough to cope? thanks mark

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
24 volts and you more then likely smoke the motor I wouldn't run it at 24 ramp it up from 12 to 24 and find its
good spot. most will run with half the voltage increased

But double most times burns them up.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You could use PWM along with the inductance of the motor to make a step down converter and run your motor on 12V from a 24V source.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Using any kind of motor controller, the basic decision on P.S. level is at LEAST motor rated voltage + 10% or even higher.
When using PWM the high initial voltage/current can be used as a starting incentive to the motor, when under way, the PWM level can be dropped.
Max.

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
ok thankyou. so om my motor it says. 12v duty s2 30min 15a 300w out class f. not a lot of that makes sense to me sorry!
but if i was going to run it on 24v would a speed controller be reducing the volts? so i could say run it at say 14 volts?
so if i was to buy a speed controller to do this would it have to be a higher amp complicity? if that makes sense?

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
That's not exactly what I would call a "small" DC motor.

Back in my slot car racing days we used to de-wind* the motors to gain a little "ummmmph" but you have to be very careful.

*remove a few windings.

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
That's not exactly what I would call a "small" DC motor.

Back in my slot car racing days we used to de-wind* the motors to gain a little "ummmmph" but you have to be very careful.

*remove a few windings.
oh ok sorry maybe i should of stated clearer in the beginning sorry im a complete novice!
basically im trying to get more torque out of the motor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
ok thankyou. so om my motor it says. 12v duty s2 30min 15a 300w out class f. not a lot of that makes sense to me sorry!
but if i was going to run it on 24v would a speed controller be reducing the volts? so i could say run it at say 14 volts?
so if i was to buy a speed controller to do this would it have to be a higher amp complicity? if that makes sense?
I would use at least a 20a ver.
Using a higher voltage power supply for PWM is usually no problem and is normal within reason, the voltage itself is not going to harm the motor, if it were uncontrolled then the motor would overspeed, and possibly be detrimental to the motor.
It is the current that is of concern.
This method allows you to apply peak torque for short periods, motors are rated for continuous torque (current) with allowances for peak torque for very short periods, if the peak is sustained for a long period, damage to the motor can ensue.
So when first implementing this method, the motor should be monitored for any overheating or stress.
Otherwise, the solution maybe is to fit a larger motor.
Max.

Last edited:

markthomas1987

Joined Dec 28, 2017
I would use at least a 20a ver.
Using a higher voltage power supply for PWM is usually no problem and is normal withing reason, the voltage itself is not going to harm the motor, if it were uncontrolled then the motor would overspeed, and possibly be detrimental to the motor.
It is the current that is of concern.
This method allows you to apply peak torque for short periods, motors are rated for continuous torque (current) with allowances for peak torque for very short periods, if the peak is sustained for a long period, damage to the motor can ensue.
So when first implementing this method, the motor should be monitored for any overheating or stress.
Otherwise, the solution maybe is to fit a larger motor.
Max.
ok thanyou again max