12/military clock

krogerson2

Joined Jan 8, 2009
I am designing a digital clock that switches between military and 12hr time and am not sure what chip to use for the DIV 10 and DIV 6 Portions of the circuit. Also i will be using a common seconds and minutes circuit but i will need a 2 to 1 mux and am not sure what chip that would be either

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You need to start by deciding which logic family you are going to use. Any decade counter (BCD) can divide by 10. You will need an external gate to reset a counter at a count of 6.

Not at all sure what you mean by -
a common seconds and minutes circuit
- can you expand on that?

Do you have any schematics you can post up?

krogerson2

Joined Jan 8, 2009
well the minutes and seconds can be used by both the military portion and the 12hr portion but then it would have to go into a seperated 24 hour and 12hr for the "hours" counter then in to a 2 to 1 mux to switch between the two what would be a reccomended decade counter would a 74293 work for that?

krogerson2

Joined Jan 8, 2009
wont i need a enable line on the chips in order for them to switch to the next number after the one before it cycles through its process of the EG: 0-9 on the seconds then the other seconds display will turn to 1 and so on

krogerson2

Joined Jan 8, 2009
I have been looking at the 7490 chip to use that but i don't know how to connect the chips together because don't i need a enable line to not get the next stage to count until the first stage gets to 9 for example on the seconds

krogerson2

Joined Jan 8, 2009
unfortunatley i am drawing a blank on how that works and i do have a solderless bread board i cant remember how it knows that they are not cascaded to count to like 8 bits or is that what i want just split the display into two different parts