1965 military aerospace power suppy parts ID request

todd607

Joined Nov 1, 2022
Hi,
This is my first post. I've learned a ton about capacitors already. I had no idea there were mylar, foil, wet tantalum...capacitors. I am disecting a 1965 power supply from the protype Univac/Navy 1st digital airborn computer for the P3 Orion.
I've never seen these "parts" labeled as CRxx. I'd like to know what they are and what they do. What would the wires be made of?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
If you'd like to see what Ive removed so far, I'll try to post pics.
Todd

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What differentiates the amperage, voltage of a controlled rectifier? Wire size? Or is there silicon inside?
It is not "controlled" it is "control" and yes there is a silicon p-n junction inside. The forward voltage drop will be about 0.7 Volts and the current handling capability is likely several Amperes give the size. More information can be had if you can find a part number. If you want to test them you can set up a jig to do that if you are confident, you can take it apart and put it back together.

I'm going out on a limb here, but the circuit is probably a bridge rectifier, with each of the four legs of the bridge having several diodes in series. This would be useful in a power supply designed to power vacuum tube equipment since none of the individual diodes would see the large voltages required of a vacuum tube across them.

Last edited:

todd607

Joined Nov 1, 2022
Thanks but there is nothing in my internet search for "control" rectifier and a thousand searches for "controlled" rectifier. I'll keep researching.