100Mbps fibre-op vs 150Mbps ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
If I'm the only person using it, is 100Mbps fast enough for games like BF1/5 ? It's $10-15USD cheaper than 150Mbps, both are unlimited usage at least.

I'd get a 10Mbps package that would be bad at games, but it "only" has 100GB/month, and that's not enough for utube.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
If I'm the only person using it, is 100Mbps fast enough for games like BF1/5 ? It's $10-15USD cheaper than 150Mbps, both are unlimited usage at least.

I'd get a 10Mbps package that would be bad at games, but it "only" has 100GB/month, and that's not enough for utube.
Hi

I don’t know how serious a gamer you are but I would check that my gaming PC could process gaming data fast enough to take advantage of the faster speed first. You need a hi performance CPU/Ram and especially, a hi performance graphics card..

eT

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok I should have just done a search, 100Mbps is plenty fast. My PC is plenty fast too. My current internet is fast enough on paper, but something goes wrong sometimes, so I stopped playing online games months ago. It's shared with other people tho, maybe thats all it was.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I discovered the hard way that it is NOT my computer or my ISP slowing me down. Some sites set limits so that the multitude of online users "Share Equally" and throttle their download capacity to sort of even out the playing field so to speak. It has nothing to do with my ability or capacity but what they want to stream out at their set limits. Many times I have run into 1-10Mbps limits on downloads or streaming when I can take far more download speed than that.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
"I'd get a 10Mbps package that would be bad at games, but it "only" has 100GB/month, and that's not enough for utube. "

Judging from your questions on this forum, you are not spending even a small fraction of that bandwidth on electronics. How about re-arranging your priorities a little?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Well 100Mbps really is too slow. Even loading webpages is slow and laggy. And 1080p and 1440p video's have been too slow.

Darnit. I had way faster wifi 6 years ago

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Well 100Mbps really is too slow. Even loading webpages is slow and laggy. And 1080p and 1440p video's have been too slow.

Darnit. I had way faster wifi 6 years ago
Ummm….There is something else wrong with your network if you have 100mb internet and web pages are slow.
100mb internet should be plenty fast for games. You might want to check that you don't have a speed/duplex mismatch somewhere.

eT

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Well 100Mbps really is too slow. Even loading webpages is slow and laggy.
The fastest DSL I can get is 12Mpbs down and 1Mbps up. They only guarantee around 8Mbps down and I frequently get less but it's not worth making a service call unless it drops to dialup speeds because they make us jump through so many hoops before they'll send a tech out.

Before that, I had dialup (and 3G for work).

Can't get cable or fiber and I don't consider satellite a viable solution.

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
The fastest DSL I can get is 12Mpbs down and 1Mbps up. They only guarantee around 8Mbps down and I frequently get less but it's not worth making a service call unless it drops to dialup speeds because they make us jump through so many hoops before they'll send a tech out.
12 Mbps down seems really good for DSL. How far are from your phone company's premises?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
12 Mbps down seems really good for DSL. How far are from your phone company's premises?
Actually it's crap. The FCC redefined broadband to be 25Mbps down. I'm about 28,000 feet from the switch. That's a little over what they used to allow. The distance and the fact that they intentionally overload the circuits are a couple reasons why I can't get what I'm paying for most of the time.

Last edited: