1 Channel Ultrasound

austinstudent

Joined Jan 28, 2020
Hey guys.

Need to design a single channel ultrasound circuit with the following parameters. Struggling to wrap my head around it, any advice? If you can diagram it, that would be great.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey guys.

Need to design a single channel ultrasound circuit with the following parameters. Struggling to wrap my head around it, any advice? If you can diagram it, that would be great.

1) frequency (typically 3-20 Mhz). You can look for amplifiers from Analog Device inc.
2) Look up for bandwidth of the selected amplifiers. In general , it is more than 50%.
3) grain. In general, you need 60 to 80 dB two stages.
4) filters.
5) applications can be for flow and imaging.
It doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ultra sound is not like television - there are no channels!
The frequency range is NOT from 3 Megahertz to 20 Megahertz
20-40 kilohertz would be more like it
You didn't say if you wanted to make a transmitter or a receiver
Which AD parts are you interested in?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ultrasound refers to the propagation of acoustic energy at frequencies greater than what humans can hear, i.e. greater than 20kHz.
Ultrasound frequencies may be as high as 10GHz. Medical diagnostic imaging ultrasound typically ranges from 1MHz to 20MHz.

Ultrasound equipment for medical imaging uses phased arrays of transducers commonly referred to as channels, for example, 256-channel ultrasound.

It is likely that the TS (thread starter) is using the term 1-channel to refer to a single transducer as opposed to a multi-transducer array.

Reference: https://conquestimaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Ultrasound_Basics_Webinar_Slides.pdf

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The request from the TS is a valid one.
Many years ago we studied osteoporosis by measuring bone density of the heel bone.
This is done by placing a pair of ultrasonic transducers on either side of the heel resting in a foot bath.
The transmitter was pulsed with a square wave and the received signal was analyzed at frequencies greater than 1MHz.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Did you specify the part number of the op-amp or we are supposed to guess?
Have you looked at GBWP (Gain-Bandwidth Product) of the specific opamp?
Opamps can provide only so much gain at certain frequencies at the risk of amplifying low frequencies much more than you anticipated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hey guys.

1) frequency (typically 3-20 Mhz). You can look for amplifiers from Analog Device inc.
2) Look up for bandwidth of the selected amplifiers. In general , it is more than 50%.
3) grain. In general, you need 60 to 80 dB two stages.
4) filters.
5) applications can be for flow and imaging.
A one-channel ultrasound system will give you a one-pixel image, and that will not be very useful. In addition there is the send-listen switching system that really makes the whole thing rather more complex.
So before spending time and effort please explain what benefit creating this design is intended to provide.
After that the big question is what transducers would be used, since the rest of the system can be fairly well defined electronics. I have seen quite a few product release announcements about IC devices created for ultrasound systems. And every one of those will include a manufacturers recommended circuit to provide the claimed performance. So they will be happy to share information on how to use their product.

And as for channels, those are not frequency ranges but physically separate receive transducers that are closely spaced .

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Came up with this, can anyone simplify this or suggest any changes please and thank you? If there is an alternate way could you perhaps present it? Appreciate the help fellas, I know you all must be busy and time is incredibly valuable.
In the attached screen shot R4 is not in the correct location.It should be in the line below, between the previous stage and the inverting input.Then the amplifier could have a gain of about 200. But you need to understand that there is a whole lot more to an ultrasound package than just a 3 stage amplifier.