1+1 = 2?

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Any dollar a vendor will accept is perfect enough.

If I charge you fifty cents for that Mandarin orange with the math on it, and you give me a dollar, you are going to expect fifty cents change! Or perhaps I can keep the change myself, since your dollar is less than perfect?

"Any dollar a vendor will accept is perfect enough."

What is a dollar?

Not kidding.

What is the definition of a dollar?

Have you ever seen a dollar?

BoyntonStu

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
What is a dollar?

Not kidding.

What is the definition of a dollar?
I can see where this is going ....

What is a dollar? A unit of currency.

What is currency? Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange

What is Money? Something that provides a standardized value for goods and services on the market.

What are goods, services and markets? ...........

Have you ever seen a dollar?
Have you ever seen an idea? Have you ever seen a musical note? Have you ever seen an photon? .....

What is the sound of one hand clapping? .....

If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound? ......

Got any new ones for us?

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
I can see where this is going ....

What is a dollar? A unit of currency.

What is currency? Money in any form when in actual use as a medium of exchange

What is Money? Something that provides a standardized value for goods and services on the market.

What are goods, services and markets? ...........

Have you ever seen an idea? Have you ever seen a musical note? Have you ever seen an photon? .....

What is the sound of one hand clapping? .....

If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound? ......

Got any new ones for us?
So little time, so much to learn.

In the early days of the United States, the term "Dollar" was commonly known as a coin minted by Spain called the Spanish Milled Dollar. These coins were the standard money then in use in the country (which country?). On April 2, 1792, Alexander Hamilton, then the Secretary of the Treasury, made a report to Congress having scientifically determined the amount of silver in the Spanish Milled Dollar coins that were then in current use by the people. As a result of this report, the Dollar was defined[5] as a unit of measure of 371 4/16th grains (24.057 grams) of pure silver or 416 grains of standard silver (standard silver being defined as 1,485 parts fine silver to 179 parts alloy[6]). Therefore paper is not the dollar, instead, it is 'worth', not 'is', 1 dollar (US Silver certificate.) In section 20 of the Act, it is specified that the "money of account" of the United States shall be expressed in those same "dollars" or parts thereof. All of the minor coins were also defined in terms of percentages of the primary coin — the dollar — such that a half dollar contained 1/2 as much silver as a dollar, quarter dollars contained 1/4 as much, and so on.

In an act passed on January 18, 1837, the alloy was changed to 10%, having the effect of containing the same amount of silver but being reduced in weight to 412 1/4 grains of standard silver which was changed to 90% pure and 10% alloy. On February 21, 1853 the amount of silver in the fractional coins was reduced so that it was no longer possible to combine the fractional coins to come up with the same amount of silver that was in the dollar.

Have you ever seen a "dollar"?

BoyntonStu

Last edited:

viip

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Can anyone give an example in the real world where this simple mathematical relationship is perfectly correct?

Hint" In order for the equation to be perfectly correct, one would need to prove that 2 entities are identical.

IOW 1a exactly = 1b

BoyntonStu
1 punch on ur right eye + 1 on ur left eye = Two black eyes :D:D...Hail mathematics

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
No. Not "what is a dollar?" But rather "what is a thalar?"

And guess what? If I have one of them and Studiot gives me another, I will have two of them! :p

If I have a beeblefarg and Studiot gives me a second beeblefarg I will have two beeblefargs. What is a beeblefarg? Have I ever seen one? Not relavant!! I will still have two of them! :p

Why this is so has already been covered. The real question is: What is Stu really carrying on about? What is Stu really trying to convey?

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
No. Not "what is a dollar?" But rather "what is a thalar?"

And guess what? If I have one of them and Studiot gives me another, I will have two of them! :p

If I have a beeblefarg and Studiot gives me a second beeblefarg I will have two beeblefargs. What is a beeblefarg? Have I ever seen one? Not relavant!! I will still have two of them! :p

Why this is so has already been covered. The real question is: What is Stu really carrying on about? What is Stu really trying to convey?

How can we discuss anything unless we define the terms?

A dollar is a real thing, defined by our government.

I have never seen a dollar.

I have seen a Dollar Silver Certificate.

Each Dollar Certificate was redeemable for a dollar.

Do you understand that a dollar can be melted, it can tarnish, conduct electricity and it weighs more than a sheet of paper?

BoyntonStu

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
So little time, so much to learn.
Indeed.

And one of those is the difference between concrete nouns like butter and abstract nouns like the colour red or the word news. Abstract nouns are not subject to the imperfections of the physical world so it is possible to have as many perfect and identical instances as one can imagine. Of course instances can also differ if required.

Whilst we have a number of physical representations of the $, the noun itself is abstract.

I'm done playing pat-a-cake with someone who is rude enough to ignore others' questions in a reasoned discussion, whilst expecting his own to be answered.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The value of precious stones/metals never depreciate. For each single dollar cent, which is the smallest possible unit so far defined by us, we need to have its gold equivalent in order to give (assign) that dollar cent its (defined) value. (By the way, I doubt that USA has the gold equivalent anyway, and the dollar notes can be printed at anytime - We don't have control :cool:).
Now, how to assign that $ cent its gold equivalent? Again it is "assigned" a value. Gold is not "equal" to paper, but the equivalence has been decided/defined in order to assign that $ cent it's value. Now, how to give gold its value in the first place? again, based on relative abundance, demand for gold, etc. And again, if gold was fairly abundant with a low demand, maybe it would have been considered as cheap as carbon or even cheaper (comparison - relativity). How to give gold its value? Mass, volume, properties, etc, again measured how? Using numbers - relative value. Meaning at the very foundation, simply just remove the concept of numbers, all our "man-made systems" will collapse. It would be a nice "avalanche breakdown" :D Signature:- Everything is relatively defined.
Unless God told us how to do so. God is perfect and absolute, nothing else is, and again, provided one believes in God. It's not like seeing the "truth", but it's know as having "faith".

Thanks.

Last edited:

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
The value of precious stones/metals never depreciate. For each single dollar cent, which is the smallest possible unit so far defined by us, we need to have its gold equivalent in order to give (assign) that dollar cent its (defined) value. (By the way, I doubt that USA has the gold equivalent anyway, and the dollar notes can be printed at anytime - We don't have control :cool:).
Now, how to assign that $ cent its gold equivalent? Again it is "assigned" a value. Gold is not "equal" to paper, but the equivalence has been decided/defined in order to assign that $ cent it's value. Now, how to give gold its value in the first place? again, based on relative abundance, demand for gold, etc. And again, if gold was fairly abundant with a low demand, maybe it would have been considered as cheap as carbon or even cheaper (comparison - relativity). How to give gold its value? Mass, volume, properties, etc, again measured how? Using numbers - relative value. Meaning at the very foundation, simply just remove the concept of numbers, all our "man-made systems" will collapse. It would be a nice "avalanche breakdown" :D Signature:- Everything is relatively defined.
Unless God told us how to do so. God is perfect and absolute, nothing else is, and again, provided one believes in God. It's not like seeing the "truth", but it's know as having "faith".

Thanks.

"God is perfect and absolute".

Is this statement your opinion?

If so, how did you form it?

OF your 5 word statement, I have 3 questions:

God is?

Perfect is?

Absolute is?

BoyntonStu

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008

God is?

Perfect is?

Absolute is?

BoyntonStu
Hey, you're making progress. I gather from the above that you understand the meaning of the words "is" and "and". Two out of five ain't bad.

However, you're post includes 5 and 3 in it, and you still have not defined what you mean by numbers, even though asked more than once. Based on your posts, you don't even believe there are 5 words there because each word is different, hence you can't count them. And, how do you know you have three questions? Each question is different, so you can't count them.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009

God is?

Perfect is?

Absolute is?

BoyntonStu
Sorry but answering to those questions here will result in a deviation from the main topic. Maybe you might want to ask the questions in another thread.

Cheers.

Last edited:

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Sorry but answering to those questions here will result in a deviation from the main topic. Maybe you might want to ask the questions in another thread.

Cheers.

If you post words that I do not understand may I ask for their definitions?

Why would asking for clarification of your words be off topic?

You posted these undefined words in this thread, I didn't.

My desire is to discuss logic, history, and Etymology.

I do not wish to argue or attack anyone.

BoyntonStu

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes you are allowed to, but please refer to my opinion below.

Why would asking for clarification of your words be off topic?
I'm not a moderator, just a new member, I believe it might not be appropriate to answer them here as I think answering those questions would lead to other irrelevant questions as far as the topic is concerned; as to my opinion. I shall let moderators decide.

You posted these undefined words in this thread, I didn't.
I'm afraid, I respectfully disagree, these words have indeed been defined, and I believe you certainly do know their meanings, but I think I know what you meant.

My desire is to discuss logic, history, and Etymology.
I did understand that. Very often, the limitation of language itself can be the source of confusion.

I do not wish to argue or attack anyone.

BoyntonStu
Same here.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

BoyntonStu

Joined Apr 18, 2009
"these words have indeed been defined, and I believe you certainly do know their meanings, but I think I know what you meant."

Defined? By whom and for what purpose?

As for my understanding of these words, remember what ASSuMe means.

I have no clue what dog spelled backwards means.

Perhaps you can offer a link that accurately and precisely defines these 3 words?

BoyntonStu

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
As for my understanding of these words, remember what ASSuMe means.
Maybe I might be seeing something else here, but your way of writing the word "assume" is giving me a bad feeling about it. To you, what does "assume" mean?

Perhaps you can offer a link that accurately and precisely defines these 3 words?
Wikipedia is good enough for me, you might also try any contemporary dictionary or encyclopedia.

To be noted that in Physics, the terms "accurate" and "precise" have different meanings. Can something be accurate and precise at the same time?

Thanks.

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You have yet to define the word "we." If you get to ignore our requests for definition, certainly we get to ignore yours! Buy a dictionary.

And your definition of "dollar" is dead wrong.

I gave five "dollars" for my lunch yesterday. I used a plastic card with a magnetic strip. The "dollars" came from a quantity of them given me by my employer in return for my exceedingly excellent services. The "dollars" from my employer were transferred electronically from an account with a Texas address to an account with a Washington address. No metal (other than copper conductors) was involved. And guess what? I had lunch!

You might not like what the dollar has become, but your insistence on it being what YOU want changes nothing. Your individual approval is not required for the rest of us to engage in commerce.

Last edited: