00 to 99 counter using 16x4 memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py2rn

Joined Nov 20, 2020
Hi, could someone please indicate me what to use for 00 to 99 counter using 16x4 memories. A diagram showing the ICs would help a lot.

Thanks

Ed

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

could someone please indicate me what to use for 00 to 99 counter using 16x4 memories. A diagram showing the ICs would help a lot.
That isn't how homework help works. You need to show your best effort.

In this case, posting the complete text of the problem would also be helpful because we can't make counters with only memory components.

py2rn

Joined Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

That isn't how homework help works. You need to show your best effort.

In this case, posting the complete text of the problem would also be helpful because we can't make counters with only memory components.
Yes, I know with bcd counters only, but not with memory and I believe the title is clear enough. Regards.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
... I believe the title is clear enough. Regards.
We don't ask for things when the title is clear enough. You seem to be of the opinion that there is a unique solution to the problem. I can assure you that it is not the case. I can imagine at least half a dozen solutions to the problem using various auxiliary chips to the memories.

For example:
  1. Can i use a microprocessor along with the memories
  2. How about a calculator chip along with the memories
  3. How about a finite state machine inside an FPGA
  4. How about a 74181 ALU along with the memories
  5. How about shift registers along with the memories
  6. How about a web server along with the memories
Are you starting to get an idea of the possibilities if unrestricted solutions are allowed. Trust me, this group is far more creative than I am and we could add to this list until "the cows come home".

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The members over here will guide you to a solution, when you provide input in the way that we can give advice.
If there is no input from you, you are on your own.

Bertus

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello,

The members over here will guide you to a solution, when you provide input in the way that we can give advice.
If there is no input from you, you are on your own.

Bertus
And the helpers get to define what is sufficient input. If you know enough to state the problem correctly, you will get assistance. If you don’t know enough to understand what additional info may be required and aren’t willing to listen to the necessary “discussion”, stop wasting our time and get out of here.

py2rn

Joined Nov 20, 2020
We don't ask for things when the title is clear enough. You seem to be of the opinion that there is a unique solution to the problem. I can assure you that it is not the case. I can imagine at least half a dozen solutions to the problem using various auxiliary chips to the memories.

For example:
  1. Can i use a microprocessor along with the memories
  2. How about a calculator chip along with the memories
  3. How about a finite state machine inside an FPGA
  4. How about a 74181 ALU along with the memories
  5. How about shift registers along with the memories
  6. How about a web server along with the memories
Are you starting to get an idea of the possibilities if unrestricted solutions are allowed. Trust me, this group is far more creative than I am and we could add to this list until "the cows come home".
flip-flops + memories. Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
flip-flops + memories. Thanks
The use of the '+' is ambiguous. In some contexts it represents a logical 'OR' function in which case it would read flip-flops 'OR' memories. This is important because we can solve the problem using flip-flops alone -- never mind the memories. It could also represent the logical 'AND' function in which case it would read flip-flops AND memories. This is still ambiguous because my next question involves the use of other Boolean functions like AND, OR, NAND, and NOR gates. Can we use those? Can we use multiplexers and decoders? The original statement of the problem would go a long way toward helping you and you still have not offered even a hint of how you want to approach the problem.

One more thing, how will the memory chips get their contents, whatever they might be. Is there a "deus ex machina" that will establish the initial condition of the memories? Alternatively you would have to design a mechanism for loading the initial values.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
OK I did not post a question here to generate a damn discussion. If you can help me fine, otherwise just keep quiet.

Thanks

Ed
AAC forums are here to help with questions on circuits and electronics regardless of the knowledge and experience of the member seeking assistance. Please learn to be patient, humble and grateful for this service and please provide the relevant information when asked.

py2rn

Joined Nov 20, 2020
The use of the '+' is ambiguous. In some contexts it represents a logical 'OR' function in which case it would read flip-flops 'OR' memories. This is important because we can solve the problem using flip-flops alone -- never mind the memories. It could also represent the logical 'AND' function in which case it would read flip-flops AND memories. This is still ambiguous because my next question involves the use of other Boolean functions like AND, OR, NAND, and NOR gates. Can we use those? Can we use multiplexers and decoders? The original statement of the problem would go a long way toward helping you and you still have not offered even a hint of how you want to approach the problem.

One more thing, how will the memory chips get their contents, whatever they might be. Is there a "deus ex machina" that will establish the initial condition of the memories? Alternatively you would have to design a mechanism for loading the initial values.
ha + ha + ha + ha very funny

py2rn

Joined Nov 20, 2020
ha + ha + ha + ha very funny
I pray to God someday you guys will have a son or any other relative asking for help in a matter you do not understand very well and will get some help in a collaborative forum instead of attacking/making fun.

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.