0-12 Volt DC input Convert To 4-20ma Output

Hoggy1

Joined Oct 9, 2018
I Have Been trying to build or find an inexpensive way to convert a 0-12 volt input to a 4-20ma output to toggle a low volt warning for a solar powered device, It needs to be low power draw and small in size A programmable 1B22 voltage to current converter looks to be out of my price range right now... any ideas would be wonderful...

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I've used the XTR115 in several designs, with good results. It lists on Digi-Key for ≈$3.50 in single quantities; I don't know if that's out of your price range or not, since you didn't specify.

Hoggy1

Joined Oct 9, 2018
I've used the XTR115 in several designs, with good results. It lists on Digi-Key for ≈$3.50 in single quantities; I don't know if that's out of your price range or not, since you didn't specify.
Looks like It Might Be a good Option for me, I am just not real good with schematics, Would I be able to use this as a 3 or 4 connection option, 12v + input and a single 4-20 output... I have not used OPA's I/C's with out detailed instructions, Thanks

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Looks like It Might Be a good Option for me, I am just not real good with schematics, Would I be able to use this as a 3 or 4 connection option, 12v + input and a single 4-20 output... I have not used OPA's I/C's with out detailed instructions, Thanks
The XTR115 is not an op amp; it's a special-purpose IC for making loop-powered 4-20 mA devices. It's worth the time to read the data sheet, as it gives you all you need to know to use it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The XTR115 is not an op amp; it's a special-purpose IC for making loop-powered 4-20 mA devices. It's worth the time to read the data sheet, as it gives you all you need to know to use it.
Sorry but I believe the most difficult for the OP would be how to bring the 0-12 V variation within the valid input range to the IC.

My real concern at least.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Sorry but I believe the most difficult for the OP would be how to bring the 0-12 V variation within the valid input range to the IC.
The control input to the IC is a current, not a voltage; all that's needed is to calculate the appropriate value resistor for the desired input voltage range. For an offset input, which is what the TS needs (0-12V gives 4-20 mA), see the "Offsetting the Input" section in the datasheet, Figure 2 on page 6.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The control input to the IC is a current, not a voltage; all that's needed is to calculate the appropriate value resistor for the desired input voltage range. For an offset input, which is what the TS needs (0-12V gives 4-20 mA), see the "Offsetting the Input" section in the datasheet, Figure 2 on page 6.
That reminds me the CA 3080.