What I did last Fall/Winter

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I have not had much time to get on here for a while, but I thought I would stop in and show off my latest project that I completed last winter. project has a few electronic components but it has over 2000 lbs of carbon steel!

I had been getting tired on how natural gas and LP gas prices have been skyrocketing in the past few years, and it had gotten to the point where I would spend up to $1,400.00 a winter on LP Gas.... so I decided to build me an out door wood burning boiler system to heat my house, I have plenty of resources for good firewood so I said why not?
But once I got started on the project, I decided to go one more step, and create a "smokeless" outdoor wood boiler.....

So this is what I ended up with, a smokeless wood gassification outdoor wood boiler.... I built it for a little over $600.00, although a comparable one on the market would have cost me $12,000.00!! And so far, I have spent $65.00 all winter to heat my 3600 sq ft home...

WoodBoiler.jpg

View of smoke stack and Primary combustion area:
http://youtu.be/-fZHdCscsE4

View of secondary burn area:
http://youtu.be/K3CLAs5ECb8

This unit basically has 2 combustion chambers, the primary chamber "gassifies" the wood almost to the point of pyrolysis, the "smoke" is then drawn back through the hot coals to heat it up to 1100 degrees, which at that point super heated combustion air is injected and mixed with the heated gas which is then burned in the secondary chamber that burns up to 2200 degrees..... :D

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Great job! How is combustion in the primary chamber controlled? In other words, how do you prevent it from burning up?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Texas doesn't have much of a problem with heating. Cooling now...

So what would you come up with for this problem? :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Great job! How is combustion in the primary chamber controlled? In other words, how do you prevent it from burning up?
The primary combustion is controlled by a downdraft blower which only supplies enough air for the wood to "smolder" in the primary combustion area from the bottom up. The unit is air tight, a motorized baffle closes up when the unit reaches the preset temp and completely cuts off the combustion air supply.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
How ever do you come up with these kinda things ?
as the old saying goes R!f@@, "Necessity is the mother of all inventions", and I found it necessary to reduce my fuel bill ;). I was actually thinking of purchasing one that is available in the market here, after seeing what they have into a $7,000.00 unit, I decided that it just seemed like such a ripoff, and the materials used would not even last 10 years, and it also put out a lot of smoke, so I decided to do some research and a lot of Google searches led me to my creation.....I actually have quite a few people interested in owning one of these, unfortunately, I do not have the starting capital needed to produce them :(. And I forgot to mention that this unit also heats my hot water, so it also helped reduce my electricity consumption for heating domestic potable water.:)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The primary combustion is controlled by a downdraft blower which only supplies enough air for the wood to "smolder" in the primary combustion area from the bottom up. The unit is air tight, a motorized baffle closes up when the unit reaches the preset temp and completely cuts off the combustion air supply.
Makes sense. It's the same way I control combustion in my smoker. Course, I'm the control mechanism.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
so that wasn't an inside joke? When I read it, I wanted to post some confusion, but I figured it was written to have meaning to you.

Awesome thingamajig BTW. What happens to the vapors? Can you capture them to make methanol? Or that what it does, burn wood to make methanol, then burn the methanol too?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
so that wasn't an inside joke? When I read it, I wanted to post some confusion, but I figured it was written to have meaning to you.

Awesome thingamajig BTW. What happens to the vapors? Can you capture them to make methanol? Or that what it does, burn wood to make methanol, then burn the methanol too?
I am as confused as you strantor, lol (although I believe it was in response to the thread title, :) ). Anyway, no, no methanol production, usually the wood is turned into Carbon Dioxide and Hydrogen which is all burned off in the secondary combustion area.... Although you can use the C02 and the Hydrogen to power a combustion engine equipped with a carburetor.... that is another thing I am working on for this summer, to mow my lawn with syngas made from wood, I am currently finishing up my GEK (gassifiers Experimenters Kit http://gekgasifier.com/wood-gasifier-plans/ ) which I will be using to create the syngas from wood or other biomass material to power my lawn tractor or even a genset (generator) when needed.... the GEK is an attempt to improve on the Imbert gassifier used back in WWII when there was a shortage of petroleum...

Here is a pic of all the parts I have fabricated myself so far for this device:
My GEK.jpg

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Reminds me of a program on the N.G. channel where they made a ski lift

from a pile of junk steel. You also show good workmanship,I always said

you are the great example of the self made man.

a smokeless wood gassification outdoor wood boiler.... I built it for a little over $600.00, although a comparable one on the market would have cost me $12,000.00!! And so far, I have spent $65.00 all winter to heat my 3600 sq ft home...
That is the coolest thing I've seen in quite some time!! Put me on your email/RSS/twitter list!! Congratulations, it's a real beauty!!

I want one!!

:) joe