voltage sensing relay to save my ballasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circa27

Joined Feb 22, 2011
So ive searched plenty and googled and ebay'd and i still cant seem to find what im looking for. Maybe you can tell me if it exists and where to find such a beast

so long story short, im in canada so my vehicle has daytime running lights. the voltage of regular lights is between 12-14.4 depending on whether the vehicle is running and the drl in MY vehicle is controlled by a relay with a heatsink which leads me to believe the relay has a built in resistor to limit the voltage to the lights when the drl's are on. unfortunately (and im positive about this) switching to a standard automotive relay does nothing. removing the relay cuts out all low beam function. there is no fuse for drls.

my last option is hopefully to find a voltage sensing relay, so when the drls are putting out ~7v the relay wont engage, but when i actually turn the lights on the relay can send power to my HID ballasts therefore, no flicker/ballast damage from low voltage/dead bulbs.

thanks in advance, you guys always set me on the right path!

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'd start by getting the wiring diagram of the car. Sometimes the public libraries will have some Chilton's and you can just check out the book or copy the proper page(s).

circa27

Joined Feb 22, 2011
i have wiring diagrams for the us and canadian model of it, the only difference is the relay type and the programming.

so....... does anyone know where i can find a voltage sensing relay? that was really my question

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Have you tried the dealer for the make of car? They should know what you need. That is unless you have modified your lighting system. Modified automotive lighting systems are not typically supported by this forum.

circa27

Joined Feb 22, 2011
how is this not supported.. its an electrical question and will possibly save my ballasts. i came here for advice not parenting

Status
Not open for further replies.